Staining Ebony

Hey I have an ebony fretboard and I may want to stain it a more uniform black, but I wont be able to do that until after I have inlayed and radiused the fret board, so I was just wondering if the said will have any effect on the inlays? I imagine it will just soak in the wood and wipe straight of the inlays? The inlays are a rock composite (Blood Red Basin) and white MOP.

Can you recommend a ebony stain?

Cheers :D

Hey I have an ebony fretboard and I may want to stain it a more uniform black, but I wont be able to do that until after I have inlayed and radiused the fret board, so I was just wondering if the said will have any effect on the inlays? I imagine it will just soak in the wood and wipe straight of the inlays? The inlays are a rock composite (Blood Red Basin) and white MOP.

Can you recommend a ebony stain?

Cheers :D

I have used Formby's saddle dye from stew mac. Make sure you tape up the binding and neck of course. Mine wiped right off the inlays, abalone and MOP for what it's worth, maybe try one fret first, But from my experience I have found it was not that big of an issue, just remember to NOT get it on the binding or neck

Hi,

With the material you used it shouldn't be an problem. However, I have just spent from time this spring working with a professional guitar finisher trying to discover the problem he had with messing up inlays on headstock. NOT inlays he got from me, but from a pretty famous guitar builder.

After some study, it turns out that the client's inlay had been super glued in and left air bubble sized holes that allowed the dye to leak under the inlay and if the inlay was thin from radiusing, is discolored or shown through the shell. These tests were done with abalam so it may not apply in your case.

What we discovered is that epoxy makes a much better seal and this prevents the leakage.

Of course, once again, you are using recon stone and that will be a lot less transparent than the abalam so this issue may be moot. Just though I would bring it up for concideration.

Good luck with your project.