5+5 String Bass Bridge?

Hi Guys,

the crazy thought of making a double stringed 5 string electric bass entered my mind the other month and I've been trying to find a suitable bridge (not trying particularly hard but keeping my eyes open on evilbay and such).

Is there anything even vaugely suitable available? If not any suggestions on making something would be welcomed. I know I've seen similar projects on this site before but the search function hates me at the moment. :D:

Rob.

You could use a double string saddle in a 5-string bridge. Or just make your own bridge, there is a very straight forward tutorial on the talkbass forums on how to do this.

Or just add an additional slot to a 5-string bridge. :D

You can modify a regular 5 string bridge, but you will have minor intonation problems. You will have to split the difference between the fundamental strings and the octave strings when adjusting the intonation.

This is the bridge I built for my 8 string:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...st&p=369379

I made the base out of wood, but it could also be made out of brass or aluminum angle stock.

this is a pic of it strung up-

8str11.jpg

As you can see, there is only a small difference between the fundamental and octave string saddle positions.

It might be possible to modify the saddles of a 5 string bridge to allow for this. Probably wouldn't get it dead on, but it would be better than nothing.

BTW, don't set it up with the octaves on the bottom, like I did- it's a pain to play this way, and I'm gonna have to change it around someday.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was thinking the intonation would be a bigger differance than on an electric (as the differance in string gauges would be greater) but it doesn't seem to bad.

Additional slots on a five string bridge it is then.

BTW, don't set it up with the octaves on the bottom, like I did- it's a pain to play this way, and I'm gonna have to change it around someday.

I was going to do it that way arround but if its a pain then I'll do it the other way.

Thanks again guys.

:D you might even see something being built in a few years at this rate!