Finished First Project

I am very happy that I got it to look this good, despite me experimenting and learning to use the tools as I built it. There's a couple of minor flaws in the finish - I'll get better at it. It is great fun to play and I even like the sound. I think the brightness of the pine and the wooden floating bridge combine well.

guitar_finished_small.jpg

It's quirky, I like it! The metal tail and wooden bridge seem to clash, imo. But the color on that pine is nice!

Yes, the pine does look good doesn't it? I just used satin varnish on it. As people warned, pine is very soft and it will collect some dings I am sure. Patching them up should be easy though - or maybe I'll just let it "age" and collect it's war wounds as it goes :D

I opted for the tailpiece because my carving skills are not up to making a nice wooden trapeze tailpiece yet. I chose black to match the pickup and the control knob. I wanted to have a black vs wooden thing happening. Maybe if I stain the bridge darker it will look better.

Thanks for the comments.

Edited by bluesy

Wow! what a cool guitar! Looks Great, Do you plan to do another project like that?

Thanks. What I am doing, is teaching myself by doing it. So, I'll probably try various styles, starting with solid bodies because they are easiest, and working up to hollow bodies, and semi-acoustics.

My next venture is to make a neck similar to the one in that photo. Pre-made necks are cheap, barely more than the cost of wood and parts, but I want to be able to make my own. I'll probably carve the neck the way I want it, and then buy a pre-radiused, pre-slotted fingerboard, inlay and fret it myself. Maybe on the next one I'll make the fingerboard as well. - Just taking it slowly.