Build #2 Is Done

Finally, for anyone who's been following the build progress on my blog, my apologies for the lack of progress over the last few weeks. All sorts of reasons, none of them particularly interesting!

But, as of a few hours ago, this one is done ...

IMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

It's a chambered Cherry body with a bookmatched Cherry cap. Both pieces came from a cherry plank, which took a little work to get it into shape, but was well worth the effort. Mahogany neck came from a standard blank, and a Wenge fingerboard. 25" scale, pair of "AXL by EMG" pickups (anyone know anything about those - I just got them because they were cheapish on eBay).

A few last minute adjustments (like taking 2mm of the neck heel to get it to fit and play properly), and a few little bits to tidy up, but it's just about there. I'm happy with it (of course!) though the neck definitely fits into the "chunky" category. Next time I'll be a little less concerned about rasping through to the truss rod channel ...

The body inlay around the soundholes is a piece of Mahogany (offcut from the neck, thicknessed to 2mm) and the inlay in the headstock is an offcut piece from the Cherry cap. Done for no reason other than I thought it might look a bit different.

If I start another one now, I might just get it done in time for Christmas ...

But, as of a few hours ago, this one is done ...

I really like it. A thinline tele is on my list for a later project. I just had a quick read of your blog to see how you did it. The concept of a partly hollowed body and a "cap" on top is one I have only recently read about. Looks like something I could handle.

Well done.