Completed My First Neck

This is my first guitar. It was started as a project to learn how to use the tools and techniques, but has become a playable instrument. Of course I am happy about that :D.

I posted here about a month ago when I finished the body and I had bolted on an old Telecaster neck. Now I have made my own neck to go with it. The neck is Tasmanian Oak with Rosewood fingerboard and small abalone dots and has a double action truss rod in it. I am amazed that it plays so well with good intonation. I didn't even have to level the frets much.

I made a few mistakes while doing all this - none fatal to the guitar luckily. I am now ready to tackle something better - maybe a thinline tele, or something with an ES-335 type of shape. Haven't decided.

finished_neck.jpg

Good job dude! That neck looks very clean and tight =]

I have to be honest - up close, there are some things that could be better. For example, I slipped while filing the fret ends, and roughed up a few fret tops. [learning - make a better block to hold the file so it can't slip out]

Also the pegboard shape is not perfect. [learning - use a template]

I also had a disaster while spraying the finish - my wire hook let go, and the neck plummeted a metre or so onto it's heel on concrete causing some damage that I had to repair (the truss rod punched out a small piece of wood in the end - easy to glue back though) [learning - make sure guitars and necks are secure while drying]

There, that's better - confession time over :D

that's cool! Course, I always like natural finishes. When it comes to hanging (since I've had the same thing happen with less than positive results). I created a hanging rack and a drying cage and faithfully use strips of wood to mount to everything (a handle). Oh... the pain and joy of learning :D Good job!

Your neck is great. The oversized headstock + offset dot markers + small body = very classy look. :D

How does it sound with that neck humbucker?

There's so many things different about it, I don't know what to attribute to the pickup :D

The swap from a tele maple neck, to my own made of Tasmanian Oak, as I said, has produced a darker sound, but I have not had a solid body with floating rosewood bridge on pine body before.

I put the humbucker in neck position, because that's the one I use the most on a ES-175 hollow body copy I have. I didn't want that trebly bite that a bridge position can give.

There's so many things different about it, I don't know what to attribute to the pickup

Heh, well I would attribute most of the sound to the wood, bridge and pickup placement, since your guitar is unusual for a solidbody. :D Do you play jazzy riffs on that thing?