Carved V.2

So, this project has been in the back of my head for a couple years. It is a variation on Gibson's obscure Flying V2.

Here are the specs:

Makore body sandwiching thin piece of mahogany

5 piece mahogany/maple set neck

Ebony Fretboard, 24.75" scale, 24 frets

Hardware:

Gold Sperzel locking tuners

Gold Tune-o-matic bridge

string-through Ferrules

Custom Gold pickup route covers

That gold EVO fretwire from LMI

Electronics:

2 humbuckers- dimarzio evolution neck, evo 2 bridge

Master volume, PRS-style multipole rotary selector, Killswitch disguised as a tone or volume control

I am yet undecided on how to finish it. Suggestions welcome.

I started a thread with some "perfect fretboard" questions over in solid body discussion.

Wood and Hardware

I'm finishing up a CAD drawing so I can print up templates.

I am looking for some string-through ferrules, but I cant find any I like.

I need something less like the carvin profile and more like this profile side profile: / \

There will be the bevel from the Gibson V2 and the top will be fully carved as well.

Any input welcome :D

Edited by Walmslap

I have been streamlining my original idea in CAD, and I would like to get some opinions on the design so far. The first picture was the original design I drew up about 2 years ago. The CAD picture is where I am right now.

2803589609_37089c4992.jpg

2803588749_8d344b8466.jpg

I know the bridge is slanted backwards in the hand drawn pic.

The treble side of the second pic is my attempt at a cuttaway on a V :D

Any contributions and criticisms of the design are welcome. I want some ammo for the next CAD session

Thanks

Edited by Walmslap

Well, I like it, for what that's worth. What's around the bridge pickup? Is that gonna be a homemade pickup ring or something? It looks cool.

It is going to be a custom pickup ring, gold plated. I'm gonna try to make it out of an old road sign that was in my buddy's apartment. Still deciding on the shape of the upper pickup ring.

So the design has come a little further, and now I have come to the selection of a neck pickup ring. I have a few candidates in this picture. This shape is the last big part of the design to do.

2804679957_3886059c58.jpg

2804697929_a39e9bc929.jpg

Tell me what you think!

Edited by Walmslap

The asymmetry at the neck pocket is like a carve-away for increased access to the upper frets, as it is a 24 fret. I have never actually played a V, so I'm not sure how it will work in practice, but I like the looks of it at the least.

I have definitely been thinking about guitars too much lately. I had a dream I was restringing my acoustic at the top of a tower sitting on the edge of a wall and I dropped it and it shattered. I think there's a moral to this.

Edited by Walmslap