Stew Mac Nitro Paints and Nitro Gloss

aMpaGe

Wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with the StewMac aerosol Nitro paints and Nitro clear gloss products?

13oz StewMac cans are only $9 bucks, whereas ReRanch sells 16oz for $13 bucks. It is a slight price difference but when buying 4 cans it adds up.

I am ordering all of my finishing supplies tomorrow, and will most likely go with the StewMac stuff unless any of you

out there have used BOTH products and can say for sure that one is of higher quality than the other?

Also looking for recommendations on stains, for those who have done veneer caps or stained bodies. Not sure which is the easiest to apply. The only thing I have read is that water based dyes will have a tendency to lift the grain of the veneer, and take longer to set, whereas the alchohol based does not lift grain and cures faster.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

I have used the clear nitro from StewMac, and I am happy with it. I have not tried reranch yet, but I will. As for oil/alchohol vs water based dyes, I have used only water based. And it does pop the grain a bit. But that is curable with a light sanding of 320 grit sand paper. oil/alchohol will not pop the grain. I prefer the water based because I can use the sanding process to create some effects. This is pure opinon, not fact.

One thing that I will say is that I do NOT like applying colored nitros to the unstained wood. I don't think that it looks as good. I prefer the old fashioned approach: Stain the wood directly.

Enjoy,

Guitar Ed

Hi,

I have used the clear nitro from StewMac, and I am happy with it. I have not tried reranch yet, but I will. As for oil/alchohol vs water based dyes, I have used only water based. And it does pop the grain a bit. But that is curable with a light sanding of 320 grit sand paper. oil/alchohol will not pop the grain. I prefer the water based because I can use the sanding process to create some effects. This is pure opinon, not fact.

One thing that I will say is that I do NOT like applying colored nitros to the unstained wood. I don't think that it looks as good. I prefer the old fashioned approach: Stain the wood directly.

Enjoy,

Guitar Ed

Thanks for that. As for the aero Nitro Black paint... It is going to be sprayed onto the back and sides of the guitar, which has been treated with 5 coats of sand sealer (with overnight drying and sanding in between each coat), and then sprayed on top of BIN's white primer. Should give a nice glossy sheen.