Jem Project

Hello all,

Here is a project that has been underway since February. Its going to be a blue/purple/gray/white multicolor swirl. All gold hardware, with the "wiring harness" out of an 06 7vwh. The donor neck was from an RG2550. I removed the fretboard and put on a maple board that was cnc'd for the tree of life inlay. Due to some gluing issues there was a slight gap along the length of the fretboard. I decided to put a binding on it to hide that, funny thing is .060 into the side of the fretboard the glue seam was perfect with the neck... I want this to be a fancy looking guitar so I bound the fretboard with a pearloid binding.

Side note...why does a 6.00 binding cost 28.00 to ship?

Anyway, because the fretboard is mass produced there was some gaps inbetween the maple and the inlay. I was able to find an epoxy that hides the gap very very well. The inlay is blue pearl for the big leaves, white pearl for the small leaves, and a mirror gold stem. The fretwire is dunlop 6105, and I must say its my new favorite!

Anyone price up an edge pro? I had to lay down 350.00 for the damn thing and another 50.00 for the nut/string tree.

Sticking to the fancy guitar theme I put on a mirror gold pickguard what has the vine of life in it. Once the guitar is painted the blue, purple, etc will show through making it pop out. Rounding out the whole package is some gold barrel knobs with abalone caps.

myjem001qg8.jpg

myjem002lt2.jpg

I know its still in a rough form, but once its finally done and polished this thing is gonna be a looker!

• 2 weeks later...

I used original titebond to attach the board to the neck. Back when I got the trem (February) they were 350. A guy I work with is building a GMC and he bought a gold Lo-Pro the same time I got my edge pro and his was 260, so they obviously have come down in price. If I would have waited a few months I could have saved a hundred bucks eh? lol

Edited by factory5150

I like the occasional Jem, though I don't ussually admit it, most of them are a bit cheesy for my tastes. But this one I like. Mostly because I love gold hardware, and maple boards, so this Jem has ticked both my boxes. Oh and that pickguard is really cool. Top job.