Solid Body Jazz Help

I've been approached about building a solid body guitar for what will be my first customer if I land the job. The first contact was through email without much detail except for a few pics of guitars they like and several were hollow body jazz boxes, but some were Les Pauls and PRS. I am meeting with them in a few days to go over ideas and details and need a little advice about jazz guitars.

I do not have the experience or the tools to build a hollow body. I am not sure if he wants a hollow body jazz guitar yet though, or if they are just colors that he likes. I have built two Tele thinline style hollow bodies just fine. So I am thinking that a thinline style with a mahoganny set neck and mahoganny back with a maple top and a set of jazz style pickups should get me close.

I am close to the ballpark, or am I still sitting in the parking lot?

-

I am close to the ballpark, or am I still sitting in the parking lot?

I think you haven't left the house yet and still need to give instructions to the babysitter... no kidding. You're going to have to wait until you've spoken to the client so you'll know what he's looking for. But if the guy wants a semi-hollow jazz box and you can't build that for him, you'll have to be straight up about that.

That is absolutely my plan. While I would love to land my first customer I know what my limitations are and won't step outside them for a customer, if he wants something I can't do than I just have to walk away. I have resonded to him and asked for some more details on what he is looking for.

Pretty much any other style of music and I know where to start with a design that will produce a desired tone. But I have never really listened to jazz, and don't know what are the main design ideas that contribute to that sound. If a hollow body is almost a must then I am out of luck for now. If it is more pickups and wood, then I just need find out where I need to start a design.