Hi everyone,

My names' Tim. I've been lurking around the forum for a while now..just reading and learning.

I've taken lots of advice, read lots of info include the manditory Hiscock book and reckon I'm about ready to start my first real guitar project.

Of course I'll be looking for a hell of a lot more advice along the way...hopefully that's where you guys come in.

Anyway, here's my plan so far:

I have an old Les Paul copy which is a flat top, bolt on neck...mmm I know!

It does however have a mahogany body (all be it made from about 6 peices!)

I have stripped it apart and sanded it back.

I used a thicknesser to flatten out the top and I am gonna put a book matched carve top on it (Aussie Blackwood...thanks Tim from Australian Tonewoods).

I'm also gonna try to modify the the bolt on tenon into a glue in neck...strange but true.

I wanna finish the whole thing off with white plastic binding and a honeyburst burst finish (oh and of course block inlays instead of dots)

All of this is really just for the sake of practicing my new craft.

I read quite a bit about learning a lot from doing things the hard way and making mistakes....that's what this prject is all about!

From here I have many more idea's...including my own line of world famous guitars (HA!!!!)

Look forward to getting to know you guys

Tim :D

Welcome Tim...

Pete from melbourne here...there are a few aussies here...but PG does get addictive of itself...

Will be a few interested in how you go about getting timbers and parts and the like down here...but it is a very cool thing to be involved in...and you found the best forum...

sustainer pete

Welcome Tim.

Well you've found Tim Spittle's website for your figured tonewoods so that's a cracking start !!!

He's good for alot of acoustic sets too. +1 for Tim @ Australian tonewoods.

I get some of my electric tops and acoustic sets from him. :D

You've started on the right foot by reading and hitting the search button, in fact there'd be very few

questions that haven't been asked and answered in previous posts.

Welcome aboard.

cheers, Stu

Hey fellas,

thanks for the Welcome!

Pete

I've ready alot of your posts, the sustainer is very inspiring...you might just be my port of call for electroni9c wizardry.

I have a few sneaky ideas to throw around that I'm sure you'll have some insight into.

The Bluetiful Tele is a truely an inspiring instrument, beautiful and inovative. I'd love hear in live some time, let me know when it's making a live appearance in Melbourne.

Stu

Style , style, style.

I'm a big fan of the Duelist. Just looking at that thing makes me wanna shed!!

Big fan of Aussie wood too. :D

I reckon you could teach me a thing or two about working with it and maybe give some tips creating those stunning finishes.

Hopefully as I learn more I can be of some inspiration to you guys...

at this point you'll just have to be satisfied with me being a sponge. :D