Trem Springs Won't Stay In The Block?!

This is really annoying me... I bought a body & neck from eBay, and a Floyd copy trem. The body & neck are attached, tuners installed (need advice on removing a headless screw though, more on that another time). I'm trying to install (initially) two springs so I can put some strings on an see how it plays.

guitar.jpg

I've tried five different springs (some old, some new) and NONE will stay in the block.

The body was pre-routed... there's a line where to drilled hole for the pickup wires made it through. Cheap, I know.

Could maybe the cavity not be deep enough and so the angle of the springs isn't steep enough for them to stay in place?

Many TIA

Dave

Could maybe the cavity not be deep enough and so the angle of the springs isn't steep enough for them to stay in place?

...was exactly my first thought.

I had a similar problem recently, when replacing a non-recessed trem with a Floyd copy. Because the copy Floyd was designed to sit in a recess, the springs were actually touching the underside of the guitar at the bottom of the spring cavity.

I ended up routering a little wood from the spring cavity area next to the trem block (the bit just in front of where the springs join the block) which helped, but is by no means a satifactory conclusion! When strung to pitch, the springs are not sitting in their inteded correct shape.

Pretty sure a larger block which goes deeper into the guitar body would sort your/our problem.

Interesting to see what the other guys suggest, though.

DJ

I had this problem once, I bought a brand new "used" Floyd from eBay. The seller said he couldn't install it on his guitar. Whatever it was cheap so I got it. The problem was the block was installed backwards. So instead of the springs going into the block facing \ way and staying in they were sliding out because they were going into the block / way. I have a spare Floyd block I will sell if you need one.

I had this problem once, I bought a brand new "used" Floyd from eBay. The seller said he couldn't install it on his guitar. Whatever it was cheap so I got it. The problem was the block was installed backwards. So instead of the springs going into the block facing \ way and staying in they were sliding out because they were going into the block / way. I have a spare Floyd block I will sell if you need one.

Hmm, that's interesting! Looks like the one in the photo could have this problem too - notice the holes on the side of the block are facing away from the springs?

DJ

The problem was the block was installed backwards. I have a spare Floyd block I will sell if you need one.

Problem nailed!!! Thank you so much!!! :D

And THANKS for the offer of a replacement!

I've put some strings on, letting them settle for 24+ hours, then going to check bridge height / truss rod etc.

Thanks again so much!!! :DB) B)