Treble Bleed Pot

AndrewCE

I've heard of this "treble bleed" modification that keeps your guitar from going muddy when you turn down the volume. It basically uses a cap to bypass the pot and go straight to the output.

My question is: With this mod, when you turn the volume all the way down, do you still hear high frequencies coming through the cap? If not, why not? This seems like it would be a pretty big problem, but it looks like a fairly common mod.

I've heard of this "treble bleed" modification that keeps your guitar from going muddy when you turn down the volume. It basically uses a cap to bypass the pot and go straight to the output.

My question is: With this mod, when you turn the volume all the way down, do you still hear high frequencies coming through the cap? If not, why not? This seems like it would be a pretty big problem, but it looks like a fairly common mod.

No, you won't hear anything with the volume all the way down because all of the signal is shunted to ground via the pot.

No, you won't hear anything with the volume all the way down because all of the signal is shunted to ground via the pot.

oh. :D duh. k thanks

how did i overlook that

By the way, I did the treble bleed mod on my American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster today. It works! I was surprised; it was my first electrical guitar mod. I thought for sure I would screw something up.

No question; just reporting.

Oh, btw, I used a 133K resistance in series with 1200 pF capacitance. If I did it again, I'd go with slightly higher capacitance. Maybe 1400 pF.

By the way, I did the treble bleed mod on my American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster today. It works! I was surprised; it was my first electrical guitar mod. I thought for sure I would screw something up.

No question; just reporting.

Oh, btw, I used a 133K resistance in series with 1200 pF capacitance. If I did it again, I'd go with slightly higher capacitance. Maybe 1400 pF.

uh oh. i did mess up. I accidentally converted wrong and put 1,000,200 pF capacitance. Oops.

But for some reason I still want a bit more treble coming through. Maybe I should just lower the series resistance.

And I did notice that the volume taper changed. Oh well.