Are Fret Locations Rounded Off?

nekros

You can round off to 2 decimals and not really worry about any intonation problems. And 2 decimals, whether in inches or cm, is measureable with the right ruler. :D I've used different methods to mark those points on a piece of paper. Digital calipers are accurate enough. Spread them open until the number shows and then mark it along a straight line, repeat the process with each fret. It takes a bit of patience and you must be consistent. By far the most accurate is with ACAD. I actually draw the entire fb in CAD right down to 3 decimals and do 2 "print screens" in actual size on 8.5"X11" paper. Result, when taped together is a perfect fretboard template ready for overlaying and slotting.

Edited by Southpa

You can round off to 2 decimals and not really worry about any intonation problems. And 2 decimals, whether in inches or cm, is measureable with the right ruler. :D I've used different methods to mark those points on a piece of paper. Digital calipers are accurate enough. Spread them open until the number shows and then mark it along a straight line, repeat the process with each fret. It takes a bit of patience and you must be consistent. By far the most accurate is with ACAD. I actually draw the entire fb in CAD right down to 3 decimals and do 2 "print screens" in actual size on 8.5"X11" paper. Result, when taped together is a perfect fretboard template ready for overlaying and slotting.

I've got a program called wfret it prints out tmplates with lines for each fret, I'm not sure how accurate it is I haven't measured it yet but if anyone's interested I could probably email it, it came free with some plans or something.

I've got a program called wfret it prints out tmplates with lines for each fret, I'm not sure how accurate it is I haven't measured it yet but if anyone's interested I could probably email it, it came free with some plans or something.

Hey, I've used it too. I once printed the template and after that I measured the frets they were good enough. You can find WFret from google. Actually here's straight link to the .zip-file. : )

WFret Download

-Juze aka Ghroath

My fret calculator comes from www.gedgreen.co.uk it can print out in either metric or imperial with any selected scale length and number of frets

You can then lay the printout directly on the fretboard and mark out the fret positions - Keith

Edited by Saxon Marsh

By far the most accurate is with ACAD. I actually draw the entire fb in CAD right down to 3 decimals and do 2 "print screens" in actual size on 8.5"X11" paper. Result, when taped together is a perfect fretboard template ready for overlaying and slotting.

+1. Except I would use the Fretfind 2D calculator and then save the DXF file and open it in autocad (free). It saves a lot of time vs. drawing it out yourself.