I went to college for Jazz Guitar and only lasted 2 years. There are a few things that will help you:

1 if you don't already, LEARN TO READ MUSIC.

2 Learn the fretboard, I.E. know what each note you are fretting is without having to think from fret 1 to fret 24 on all 6 strings.

3 Buy a good basic theory book and abosrb everything you can about chord construction, scale construction, intervals, and make sure you get a good base before trying to go advanced.

4 last but most important is check your ego at the door. I left high school thinking I was the second coming of Randy Rhoads and got my head handed to me for it. Everything you think you know, you may have to relearn, and if you are not humble enough to follow your instructors every word like he or she is the Messiah, you'll have a hard time. I did.

Hope that helps ( o and as a heads up you will take twice as many classes as your peers when you become a music major. thats not even including the mandatory 6 hours practice you have to put in just to keep up)