Hi out there...

Quick background. Up until this past December, I'd never even held a guitar. My son asked for an electric for Christmas. Ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to learn to play. Since my son was getting one (a Lyon LI15, Black), I got myself one too (a Washburn WI14, Cherry) so we can try to learn together.

A few weeks into it, I stumbled across a mint condition Oscar Schmidt OE-30 in black on Craigslist for $125. I love the look of the ES-335 copy. The size and style suit my 44 years better than the Washburn Idol. Along with actually learning to play it, I'm going to add a Bigsby B7 in the next week or so.

My daughter has since adopted the Cherry Idol and joined in on the learning to play epic.

The toys so far:

3guitars1.jpg

Just to be sure not to have any spare time, today I picked up an 'well used' Epiphone Les Paul Special for a refurb project. Stay tuned for more pictures and a lot of newbie questions.

Welcome...nice pic of you and your kids...I like the way dad's if bigger than theirs...hahaha

This may be a very cool adventure to be on together...don't forget to actually get down and play...got to build up those callouses you know...

What about an amplifier...what are you using to hear the things?

pete

Welcome...nice pic of you and your kids...I like the way dad's if bigger than theirs...hahaha

This may be a very cool adventure to be on together...don't forget to actually get down and play...got to build up those callouses you know...

What about an amplifier...what are you using to hear the things?

pete

Of course mine's bigger...

Just a couple of low wattage practice amps. A 15 watt Randall (for me) and the itsy 5 watt that came with my son's Lyon. I just ordered a 10 watt unit for my daughter to use. Maybe in a years time, when we can all play for real, I'll invest some real boom. I know where I can get a used Marshall half stack for $400 or so. In the mean time, I've got a schematic for MOSFET amps and some effects I might try out. I'm also looking for circuits for wireless systems I can build.

I'm working on the callouses. Two days after Christmas, my fingers hurt so much I couldn't even hold a coffee cup (for me, that's serious).

Edited by toneblind