Push-pull Pot For Switching Between Cap Values For Tone Pot

natwalk

Hey quick question for those with more electronics knowhow than myself, which will be most of you I'm guessing :D

I am wiring up a guitar with a single coil at the neck and humbucker at the bridge and I want to use a push-pull pot to switch between cap values to suit the pickups. I know that a heap of guitars don't bother to do this, but i want to give it a go so could someone out there let me know of a link to a schematic or whatever that can get a noob through, I can handle basic wiring but my previous attempts in nutting things like this out myself have been less than spectacular,

Thanks in advance for the help,

Nate

:D

Hey quick question for those with more electronics knowhow than myself, which will be most of you I'm guessing :D

I am wiring up a guitar with a single coil at the neck and humbucker at the bridge and I want to use a push-pull pot to switch between cap values to suit the pickups. I know that a heap of guitars don't bother to do this, but i want to give it a go so could someone out there let me know of a link to a schematic or whatever that can get a noob through, I can handle basic wiring but my previous attempts in nutting things like this out myself have been less than spectacular,

Nate

I don't know if there is a site with that on but i did a quick scribble on paint. Sorry its a bit rough.

The box with 6 dots in is the DPDT switch and the earth goes to the jack ring/casing or anything earthed and the live is from where ever the tone usually goes from.

capswitch.jpg

EDIT: sorry i forgot the pot! just run the earth wire to the middle pin on the pot and the earth on the right hand pin (assuming the pins are pointing towards you and you are looking at the back of the pot).

Edited by Mitch

Nate

I don't know if there is a site with that on but i did a quick scribble on paint. Sorry its a bit rough.

The box with 6 dots in is the DPDT switch and the earth goes to the jack ring/casing or anything earthed and the live is from where ever the tone usually goes from.

capswitch.jpg

EDIT: sorry i forgot the pot! just run the earth wire to the middle pin on the pot and the earth on the right hand pin (assuming the pins are pointing towards you and you are looking at the back of the pot).

Thanks for that Mitch, I'll give it a go. Let you guys know how it ends up,

Nate

B)

I am sure this kind of thing was discussed recently...won't hurt to give it a go, but you may need to consider what and how the tone control works as a lot of people seem to have a misunderstanding about it...

Ideally...with the tone on 10 you are getting no effect from the cap...turning it cuts the high end tone...different caps change the character of the cut a little. Generally people don't even use the tone controls and would actually benefit more by using a tone control bypass switch.

So...while you can change cap values...if the control is generally on 10 anyway...there is no point really...better use could be made from such a switch in my opinion as has been discussed a few times lately...

pete

• 4 weeks later...
I am sure this kind of thing was discussed recently...won't hurt to give it a go, but you may need to consider what and how the tone control works as a lot of people seem to have a misunderstanding about it...

Ideally...with the tone on 10 you are getting no effect from the cap...turning it cuts the high end tone...different caps change the character of the cut a little. Generally people don't even use the tone controls and would actually benefit more by using a tone control bypass switch.

So...while you can change cap values...if the control is generally on 10 anyway...there is no point really...better use could be made from such a switch in my opinion as has been discussed a few times lately...

pete

VERY VERY TRUE! man thats the thing i learned some time ago. what a difference it makes. unless its a crazy or modded tone now i dont' even hook them up