Fretting Out

dpm99

Can anyone give me an idea as to how flat a radius needs to be to keep from fretting out? I'm looking at getting a 9-11" compound radius board. To me, it makes no sense at all to make a compound radius board where you'll still fret out on the upper frets, so that leads me to believe it's been tested and works. However, that sure doesn't seem very flat to me. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help,

-Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Lets put it this way I was playing on my 12" radiused guitar the other day with my tuner next to the amp I played around with a few bends getting them stay in pitch/tune (i.e. exact 1/2 step, 1 step etc) and I end up bending 2 1/2 steps on the G, B and E strings - with no fretting out. Although my finger tips didn't thank me afterwards! :D

So as a far as I'm concerned anything 12" and over there ain't no issues.

Edited by SJE-Guitars

I think you can get away with a smaller radius if the fretboard is prepped correctly. You need to "ramp" the upper frets. During leveling, sand the upper frets- say from about 17+ bring em down more than the rest.

Level the frets as normal, then scrub 17+ a lot more, applying the most pressure to the last fret. This keeps them from fretting out during bends, but is still plenty level enough for normal playing as well.