Fixing An Old Mistake

My first foray into guitar finishing did not turn out very well. I wanted to refinish an Ibanez body that I acquired from eBay. I won't recount all the newbie mistakes I made, but I think it will suffice to say there were a lot of them. I ended up building a new replacement body for that guitar about six months after the refinish, and hanging the original in my closet like a skeleton. After a while one of my friends discovered the body and started pestering me to assemble a guitar for him with it. I eventually gave in, and said I would do it if he provided all the parts and let me refinish the body.

So here's the end result. Sorry for the pictures. I never had a chance to take any good ones... just a couple quickies right before I handed the guitar off. I refinished the body and neck, which are both stock Ibanez parts. The hardware is imported stuff from Guitar Part Depot, and is surprisingly good for the money (especially the tuners). It's got a delrin conversion nut, and the pickups are SD Pearly Gates and Rio Grande Tallboy. Both pickups sound fabulous. I'm considering buying a Pearly Gates to replace the DiMarzio PAF Pro in my guitar. The Tallboy is a little bright for my tastes, but still a solid pickup. It's got a nice little hint of twang, and the coil tap modes, as promised, are very good.

Couple of crappy flash photos. Don't mind the fingerprints. The flash makes the blue look a lot lighter than it is in person.

seans-rg-done1.jpg

seans-rg-done2.jpg

And one next to its older brother

seans-rg-done3.jpg

It's one piece African mahogany. I asked Larry at Gallery Hardwoods for an extra heavy, extra pretty piece of mahogany, and boy did he ever deliver. The blue one is mahogany, too.