Acoustic Pickup/preamp

I have decided to build a martin D-28 kit, and am in need of electronics for it. I have only begun searching for electronics, but I feel like a fish out of water. I don't know where to start. What I am looking for though is a pickup and a preamp (preferably with a tuner, but that can be omitted if it is too expensive). I do not know what to expect for the price of the system, but I'm hoping it won't be more than 100 (if thats way under, whats a better price range to expect?). What would you suggest I use?

ktrip,

There are a number of ways you can go with this. You can do it for under $100, but most systems are gonna cost more than that. If I were trying to keep it under a hundred bucks, I think I'd lean toward this:

http://kksound.com/twinspotinternal.html

It's my understanding that you can get by without a preamp with the K&K Sound pickups, but don't hold me to that. You'd need to research it. Good luck!

-Dave

I have seen that sort of pickup system, and while that is an option, I don't think I was clear enough. My hopes are for one of the systems that has the pickup, (active) an eq, volume, and that sort of thing. I would also like a tuner, but that is not required. Now that I think about it, 100 is probably too cheap for something like that. I'm looking for something that is quality, but it doesn't need to be a professional system, just something with good sound. If I am still unclear, let me know and I'll add links to some systems I have looked into.

I don't know a lot about the Artec stuff. I can tell you that Grizzly is well-respected. I'm sure you could find better pickup systems than that one, but it'd be tough to do so in that price range. It would probably be fine. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in too.

Make sure if you get that one that you let us know how it works out. Feel free to post some pictures of your project too. We'd love to see it.

-Dave

I don't know a lot about the Artec stuff. I can tell you that Grizzly is well-respected. I'm sure you could find better pickup systems than that one, but it'd be tough to do so in that price range. It would probably be fine. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in too.

Make sure if you get that one that you let us know how it works out. Feel free to post some pictures of your project too. We'd love to see it.

-Dave

After some searching of the web, I found the preamp of choice

http://www.acousticpreamp.com/servlet/the-...GE-BT-MC/Detail

Its got the tuner which I wanted, plus a 4 band eq, and a piezo input plus a mic input (and it includes both). While its probably not the best sounding system out there, it seems like it will do what I need it to.

As far as the pics go, I'll post them once I start. Its still a month or two out so I can save some more money for the kit, mold, and electronics. You all know how expensive this stuff gets, and being in high school doesn't help

ktrip

Edited by ktrip

• 2 weeks later...

I put an artec into a cheaper reworked nylon I have. I will say I am fairly happy with it.

it was the piezo with mic blender system. the mic is worthless. I built my own piezo per string, and I use that in place of the mic input. so I can blend 2 piezos...

I also feel the artec piezo is very responsive and equal in output. they did something right for a cheap price.

I have a factory nylon guitar with a shadow system, and I like the artec better. I may end up swapping it over to and artec.

I have a fender steel string acoustic with fender electronics. this cant really be compared equally due to different guitars.... but I like it a lot more.

Bottom line, the artec is like 50ish bucks... if you buy one to try out, dont cut the hole for the preamp... just try it and see if you like it obviosly.

I have not tried any of the higher end stuff... so i cant say if that stuff is really any better.

I just remembered, I also took an f'd les paul copy (flat top) and glued a new top on it and made it a solid nylon electric guitar. I put the artec piezo with the 1/4" jack with preamp built in the jack. this has no controls for volume or EQ, but it has worked out pretty good too. I will be trying to find something to control volume and maybe tone. I dont want knobs on the face of the guitar.

Edited by billm90

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! If you are making the investment in time and money to build your own guitar from a D-28 Kit, it seems to me that you would want to have something that is of equal caliber to go with it! Is this the kit from Stew Mac?

For me personally, I would not cut a gaping hole in the side of my guitar if one did not already exist. I would instead install whatever transducers/pickups I was using, route the signals to an endpin jack, and then run the signal through an outboard preamp for blending/EQ before running out to the final amplification. :D

I am curious about these Artec preamps though. I have a Takamine that I am trying to resurrect and am looking at different options as I do have a gaping hole in the side of my guitar that needs to be filled! :D

Are these Artec preamps at least as good as what originally came with this guitar? This is a Takamine "G Series" we are talking about here. I am looking for something with a tuner (so long as it is something that is useful) and an auxiliary output for a magnetic pickup or microphone to blend with the piezo transducer.

On a side note, my guitar has the two-piece saddle so I need a two-piece piezo transducer to go with it. Are these commercially available in the aftermarket or do I need to get these from Takamine! Or should I pitch all that, make some new saddle pieces, and go with a LR Baggs "I Beam" or something like that?

Edited by TX Pikr