Homeade Cnc

NotYou

I'm thinking of getting my hands dirty and trying to build my own CNC. I've been doing some research and I think I'll be able to to do it.

I don't plan on using much, that's why I don't want to shell out the money for a commercial one. I mainly want it for making my own templates and mostly things along those lines.

Has anyone tried making their own? Was it worth it? I've heard from people who have made their own that it's not very expensive. I also know some very talented machinists who are willing to help make parts as I need them.

I'm thinking of getting my hands dirty and trying to build my own CNC. I've been doing some research and I think I'll be able to to do it.

I don't plan on using much, that's why I don't want to shell out the money for a commercial one. I mainly want it for making my own templates and mostly things along those lines.

Has anyone tried making their own? Was it worth it? I've heard from people who have made their own that it's not very expensive. I also know some very talented machinists who are willing to help make parts as I need them.

I have converted a mini mill to CNC, Been thinking about a router but it's down low on my list of things I really need. If I was producing parts or guitars it would be different.

The CNC forums are the place to learn and ask questions. They have a section on router mills and instrument building.

As far as cost it is not that cheap even building one yourself. Most of the expense lies in the controller and a good set of motors. Now if you have an older PC with a parallel port you will be spending less to begin with. I think usb controllers may be available but I have not checked lately. Then you have software which can cost almost as much as the electronics. Especially on a body the freeware versions will not allow you to run enough lines of code (Mach 3) to complete the job. Then you have to learn to design on a computer and then convert the design to code which allows you to communicate with the controller and move the motors.

I hope you are now totally confused as I once was. Its a good starting point.

I think its worth it, as Im building not one but two at the same time. A small desktop version for inlays and small plastic signs and a larger 24x36 one for out in the garage for routing bodies, necks and tops etc. One thing I would do differently is to buy an already assembled driver board, I didnt know better when I ordered my kit pkg. Im a bit overwelmed by soldering up an entire board, one mistake and poof! You're knocked back in your plans. Dont ask my why I know this. :D I feel theres no glory in assembling delicate circuts when there are already assembled versions available. My CNC Table is still sitting drawn on paper. I feel I'd have the table halfway built if not still finishing building the board. If there's interest I was considering posting a build thread in the tools section.

If I can help please ask away. -Vinny

I have been researching and building my own and so far everything is going alright. Some tips for you:

- I bought a sheet of 1/4" MDF for all the side pieces but it's a pain to join at 90 degree angles so I would look into alternative material (plastic, metal, maybe wood).

- You can get slides from old printers and typewriters for free, and they work great since you don't have to align as many components for smooth operation.

- Make sure you do some basic statics/strength of material analysis on your design or use a pre-tested design from online. Last thing you want is your axes bending or breaking.

- Check out modularcnc.com, they have some kits and parts that might be worth shelling out the money for.

Wish you the best of luck, post pics if you can.

I would definitely be interested in seeing a build log.

I'm really just looking to build something that can cut 2D. I plan to do all of my building by hand still, but I would love to be able to make my own templates with a computer.

I'm using a free trial version of Cut2D from Vetric, (purchase price $150) its a very user friendly program and I was designing my own stuff in no time. Heres a screen shot of a LP file I created.

I'll get a build thread going for the CNC,

-Vinny

CNCLP59.jpg

Hey Vinny I too have looked at the Vectric software and its amazing and looks so simple and easy to use. I e-mailed their tech dept about various questions regarding what it can do and trust me you can use this stuff to make absolutely anything to do with guitar making so it sold it for me and the demos on youtube look great as well, the Vectric Aspire looks incredible but it is rather expensive but then again if it makes it easy and produces excellent results why not. I too will try and do a build log as I get going and would love to see yours as well

To anyone with the slightest interest in CNC I would say definitly look into it. It's a fast growing hobby with builders freely sharing their ideas, kinda like another forum I know :D I remember seeing a home built CNC Router online and was amazed that you could build this yourself. -Vinny