How Do You Do Your Trussrods?

Interesting about the G&L necks. They mention getting a patent for that on the website. Thing is, I have a peavey neck from probably 15 years ago that was built the same way - and they have a patent on the method too! It's a neat way of doing a neck. Could be really cool do a one-piece neck like that, and bookmatch some interesting cocobolo or something.

Interesting about the G&L necks. They mention getting a patent for that on the website. Thing is, I have a peavey neck from probably 15 years ago that was built the same way - and they have a patent on the method too! It's a neat way of doing a neck. Could be really cool do a one-piece neck like that, and bookmatch some interesting cocobolo or something.

Dont see rosewood or cocobolo necks too often because they're so heavy. It can and has been done, just be carefull to keep the body heavy as well so it balances properly.

A "1 piece" coco or RW neck/fretboard would look nice- just need to make a thin, perfect cut to loose as little wood as possible so the grain will still line up well. A good resaw bandsaw and jointer would work. A tablesaw will eat too much wood. Or, if you bind the neck, you could cut the fretboard off, and the binding will hide the glue line...

Not asking any trade secrets but do you router from the back for a solid maple neck? Just wondering, how did you know what to do?

Yeah, I'm all about vintage accuracy when it comes to my guitars, so I router from the back and do the skunk stripe on solid Maple Fender-style necks. To be quite honest, I'm still not sure whether my method of doing it is one that should be mimicked (sp?), but I came about it by studying x-rays of vintage Tele necks and then trying to draw it out at full scale.

...I came about it by studying x-rays of vintage Tele necks and then trying to draw it out at full scale.

Thats sounds like a good idea, where did you get the x-ray?

Anyway its good to hear about someone else doing it the hard way. Do you have fun making the filler-piece? or skunk stripe as you call it

I do mine by putting a small piece of wood in the groove and move it along whith a pencil tracing the exact curve onto the intended filler-piece. Then after I shape it to that curve I router the edge with a round 3/16 bit so it fits snug against the rod. In the end there's no 'air' inside the neck, just wood and trussrod (Even I think its going overboard)

Then getting the filler piece to fit at the ends is another drama all on its own. Its not so bad if the body end gets hidden under the join but some of mine are double ended

On the topic of brass nuts, both Fender and Gibsons are made of brass. The Fender has a brass insert for the thread

Nothing wrong with making your own nuts though. What makes if funny to me - its the sort of thing I would do!

I forget where I got the x-rays actually. I think it was somebody on the MIMF. I searched around a bunch for info on how to do it, and then came across a guy who mentioned having them. So I just emailed him and he was kind enough to send them.

Making the filler strips has been hard. I have templates made up for it, but the strips are so small that my router sometimes snaps them into pieces while cutting the profile. I want to redesign my whole jig for that. Yeah, I might be doing things the hard way, but I think it's worth it. :D

I forget where I got the x-rays actually. I think it was somebody on the MIMF. I searched around a bunch for info on how to do it, and then came across a guy who mentioned having them. So I just emailed him and he was kind enough to send them.

Making the filler strips has been hard. I have templates made up for it, but the strips are so small that my router sometimes snaps them into pieces while cutting the profile. I want to redesign my whole jig for that. Yeah, I might be doing things the hard way, but I think it's worth it. :D

Well...

If any of yours have a backbow, send it to me- I know how to "fik" it- do it for free! :D

The book from Melvyn Hiscock has a pretty good explanation of how to do fender style rods.