Mahogany

Greeting To All,

Hello there. I am currently getting ready to work on a Mahogany bass guitar. From what I have been reading I should use Pore Fill first. Then again. Then move to shellac, then agan. Then move to 12 to 16 coats of Tru Oil. Am I getting this right? I want this to turn out right with the natural wood finish showing. My past guitars I have built I used Tung Oil. I am wanting Better, so to say. If anyone can give me direction to go on and where to get this Pore Fill product at I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You

Thanks Rick500,

I have seen some of your work before here and other sites. I am not really wanting to feel the grain, but I am wanting to create a look of liquid glass. Just on the body and head stock along with the Mahogany truss rod cover you suggested. The back of the neck will be Tung Oil. Thank you for taking time to answer my first post.

Randy

Lots of ways to go at it really. You can use commercial pore fillers or fill with just True Oil. It takes some effort to do a level mirror finish with True Oil, but the results can be stunning.

My methods have evolved a bit, but its basically just build it up and block it down. Here is a brief rundown on how I did this latest one.

The the bulk of the filling is by wet sanding with Tru Oil and 400, usually 2 sessions gets me mostly there. Then I do 3 coats a day for 5 or so days until I get a good level body going. I wipe it on using some 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" cotton gun cleaning patch's, ran out of old t-shirts. Forgot to add, I wet sand it with 1000 grit and mineral spirits before the start of that days coats.

Once I've a good film started and most imperfections filled, I spray 3 or so coats, (one a day), with a little detail gun. Again, I wet sand each day before that days coat, but move to 1500, then 2000 on the last two coats.

I've used the Tru Oil rattle cans and it works fine. I mix my own and spray with a small detail gun because its cheaper. You can thin Tru Oil up to 50%, thats 2 parts oil to one part mineral spirits.

Here is the back of a steel, its mahogany and maple

R-004-15.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/quar...04/R-004-17.jpg