Telesonic Build

Hey gang, it's been ages since I last posted anything here, though I've stopped in frequently to read up on things. Using the information I gathered here I've built some really great original designs, but now I need to ask for some advice on mounting some less-than-traditional pickups.

I'm building a telesonic replica using some extra parts I had lying around from previous builds. The original telesonic has Dearmond 2k pickups that seem to mount differently than 2ks in other guitars, in that they sit very close to the top of the body rather than highly elevated like ric pups or something along those lines. The closest thing I could get my hands on was a pair GFS NYIII humbuckers which are surface mounted pups of the exact same footprint as ricky toaster tops, but are each different heights, and thus require a neck angle. While the original telesonic is similar to a gibson in many ways (24 3/4 scale, wrap-around bridge, 2Vol/2Tone controls) I don't think it has any neck angle.

Can anybody think of a way to cleanly mount these pickups and still have the strings somewhat close to the body at the bridge like on normal fender guitars? I hollowed out the body before glueing on the cap, so I was thinking I could jimmy the pups in the openings and use a custom mounting ring.

Just looking for opinions.

Thanks

sorry about the confusing question...I'm not at my best when it comes to getting my point across effectively.

Basically the problem is that:

- I want to use surface mount pickups (3/8" N & 5/8" :D,

- on a flat topped guitar,

- with a wrap-around bridge (probably recessed),

- and still have the strings stay fairly close to the body like on regular fenders (because my playing style relies on being able to rest my right wrist on the body near the bridge, and I find it very hard to play on archtops or LP's with angled necks)

The only method I can think of that allows me to achieve all these things is to recess the pickups into the body, but it's already hollow so there's nothing to mount them to. I'll figure something out, I'm sure. This is mostly just a fun little project that I wanted to try because I can neither find nor afford a real telesonic, and because I already had a lot of suitable parts just lying around. However, I thought I'd ask the question here first to see if anybody had a brilliant idea, or had done something similar before.

Hope that makes better sense. And thanks in advance for your suggestions.

-Aaron

The only method I can think of that allows me to achieve all these things is to recess the pickups into the body, but it's already hollow so there's nothing to mount them to. I'll figure something out, I'm sure. This is mostly just a fun little project that I wanted to try because I can neither find nor afford a real telesonic, and because I already had a lot of suitable parts just lying around. However, I thought I'd ask the question here first to see if anybody had a brilliant idea, or had done something similar before.

Hope that makes better sense. And thanks in advance for your suggestions.

-Aaron

Mount them like a strat, but instead of a pickguard, use the body cap asthe pickguard (since it is hollow inside)

Make a strip of metal for each pickup slightly longer then the pickups. drill holes in the ends. tap them, or glue/solder bolts to them.

glue/attach the pickup to metal strip.

alighn to body, cutand drill holes

insert and install springs and screws, set it up.

will that work? I am adding mag pickups to an acoustic. this is what I am doing.