Top Loading Fixed Bridges

Thanks for all the advice, everyone, and especially anderekel, for taking the time to photoshop the kahler onto my design. I'm leaning more heavily towards the kahler now, but if I do go that way, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the trem. It comes just as close to meeting my requirements as any of the hardtails, since the route doesn't have to go all the way through the guitar. I'm going to have to recess any of the fixed bridges on my list, so it seems like a little extra routing for the springs on the kahler trem won't be a big deal. I can lock it down if I decide to stay fixed, or unlock it and dive bomb like a mad man if I get a case of Van Halen-itis. I may still go with the recessed schaller, though. In my mind, the kahler does look a bit too big. This guitar design certainly doesn't have a metal feel to me, and the big bridges with fine tuners on them seem to have a bit of that hair metal vibe. I've got a little bit more time to decide before I've got the money to order the bridge, so there's no huge rush yet. On the other hand, the sooner I make my final hardware choices, the sooner I can finalize all my template designs.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone, and especially anderekel, for taking the time to photoshop the kahler onto my design. I'm leaning more heavily towards the kahler now, but if I do go that way, I'm pretty sure I'll go with the trem. It comes just as close to meeting my requirements as any of the hardtails, since the route doesn't have to go all the way through the guitar. I'm going to have to recess any of the fixed bridges on my list, so it seems like a little extra routing for the springs on the kahler trem won't be a big deal. I can lock it down if I decide to stay fixed, or unlock it and dive bomb like a mad man if I get a case of Van Halen-itis. I may still go with the recessed schaller, though. In my mind, the kahler does look a bit too big. This guitar design certainly doesn't have a metal feel to me, and the big bridges with fine tuners on them seem to have a bit of that hair metal vibe. I've got a little bit more time to decide before I've got the money to order the bridge, so there's no huge rush yet. On the other hand, the sooner I make my final hardware choices, the sooner I can finalize all my template designs.

Not only that but the hybrid has a set screw at the tail end that you can lock it in place if you don't feel like using the trem.

Be aware that the hybrid set screw to fix the bridge is behind the bridge and fairly small needing an allan key to set it...this could be a problem with recessed versions.

bluetelebridge.jpg

You can just see it behind the bridge on my tele above at the back.

I found it to be of great use in changing strings and installation as it keeps the bridge fixed in the place it should be when fully strung in tune...as long as you adjust the spring tension right.

They may seem a bit "hair metal" perhaps...but i didn't choose it for the extremes it could do but for the build quality, the amount of chrome and for a floating bigsby kind of action...if used responsibly. Other benefits is the bridge saddles stay faxed so string damping wont effect the tuning while playing as with fulcrum types and the strings don't lift when the trem is used which means they stay close to the sustainer driver no matter how slack the strings go.

Really though, it depends on the guitar you put it on...but I would pay some attention to the set screw issue if recessing the thing...on any top loading bridge you need a fairly big breakover angle to get enough pressure on the saddles...on my tele of course I could add shims to get a better tone on the high strings I suspect by shimming the neck a touch more...the saddles do need to be quite high for them to work effectively

pete

Be aware that the hybrid set screw to fix the bridge is behind the bridge and fairly small needing an allan key to set it...this could be a problem with recessed versions.

pete

You can't see the "access" hole on mine? I had to recess because of a miscalculation doing the neck pocket, and that was the only choice! I wanted that bridge on this guitar.