Cheap 'n Ez Vac Setup

Buter

If anyone has ever wanted a vacuum setup but been put off by the cost, fear not, a very cheap system can be setup quickly and easily.

Mine consists of a fridge compressor and some premade and homemade bags. Purpose built bags can be a bit pricey but you can make your own out of many things if you're creative; I've got one made from a shower curtain. I have had to make some large ones for working with surfboards but a guitar sized one shouldn't be too expensive and would last a long time (I've done nearly a thousand skateboards in the same bag).

Fridge compressors can usually be scored for free from a small appliance repair shop as they often have models not in use anymore. If I remember correctly, Joe woodworker has plans or a kit for wiring in a pressure sensitive on/off circuit but then you start getting away from the cheap and easy philosophy.

If you want a vacuum clamping system (I haven't got around to doing mine yet, but soon come) an easy way is to run a decent sized pipe along your workbench (or the wall above, or underneath or...) with inlets tapped with non-return valves coupled with quarter turn ball valves in locations where you may want to use vacuum clamping. Once you've pulled vacuum in the pipe it will act as a reservoir and you can switch the compressor off. No need to buy specialized vacuum gasket material, just use a bead of silicone and let it cure and then you have a sealing surface - trust me, it works.

Here's a top I did this afternoon

vac4.jpg

vac3.jpg

vac2.jpg

Cheers

Buter

Interesting and crude.

I don't see a shut off valve, maybe that would be easier than running the motor to keep up the vacuum. Or maybe I missed something.

Shower curtain you gotta love it

Interesting and crude.

I don't see a shut off valve, maybe that would be easier than running the motor to keep up the vacuum. Or maybe I missed something.

Shower curtain you gotta love it

Crude in a good way, I hope!

No need for a shut off valve. The bag in that picture has a non-return (check, one way..) valve underneath my high tech sealant material (Duct Tape). I can run the compressor for about a minute then turn it off and unhook the bag and put the workpiece somewhere else. Some of my bigger bags require continuous operation of the pump due to not being 100% airtight. Even this is no problem because the pump gets to run at nearly full load as it was designed to do.

Yeah, wifey wasn't too happy about the shower curtain but, when needs must...

Cheers

Buter

I am glad it works, crude meaning duct tape and a pump which looks like it came from a model T sitting in a field for 50 years. A little paint and it will look as ggod as new. LOL