Ferrules absolutely needed?

Zzzzz....... Pop! Snort!... Huh?!? Ok, I'm Awake now!

Oops, I was napping and missed the run of the thread there. Sorry about that. I went and looked at the photos of your guitar. Neat looking guitar. I think you should be okay with the new neck mount holes. You moved them inboard a litle bit, which does take away a slight amount of stability, but now you have them into solid wood. The ferrules will help prevent you from splitting the wood, and It looks like you should be okay. I have seen guitars with the offset holes like that before, and it is actually good design, as a straight split in the wood won't involve two screw holes. (Assuming your grain is straight with no runout) You could go to a threaded insert of you do have stability problems with the current setup, but I think you should be just fine the way it is.

I always liked guitars with contoured heels, as I get my thumb upthere at times, and a shaped surface is much smoother to move around on than a big plate with four screwheads sticking out of it. (I tend to take barre chords all the way up the neck when I play)

Good Luck, Nice looking guitar!

Dave

Thanks alot...im pretty satisfied with the new screw locations myself...and i cant wait to get the ferrules in there...and now that i have more room i am going to contour the heel a bit more for a more "sexy" feel as we call it haha...i dont like when i go to hit the high notes and i feel like im holding a ham sandwhich in my hand because the heel is so thick...and an explorer isnt going to get too too much soloing anyways...thanks