Converting A Gibson Sg

Hey Gang,

I know you're use to only seeing inlay work from me, and there will be plenty of that, but I'm documenting the total guitar transformation on this one. So, I thought you would like to see it.

I'm turning a Gibson SG into "THE VIKING" guitar. For the first time I'm doing video and pictures. If you want to follow my progress, check it out.

The Viking Guitar

This is going to be a fun project. I think I'm keeping it. :D

Hey Gang,

I know you're use to only seeing inlay work from me, and there will be plenty of that, but I'm documenting the total guitar transformation on this one. So, I thought you would like to see it.

I'm turning a Gibson SG into "THE VIKING" guitar. For the first time I'm doing video and pictures. If you want to follow my progress, check it out.

The Viking Guitar

Thanks for posting. i will keep a watch for new progress postings ..Kev

Hey Gang,

The Viking Guitar

Awesome! Look forward to seeing that. Great subject too, I'm just custom painting a jetski with a Viking theme at the moment...........so if you need any reference material or good sources for information on the subject, I'd be more than happy to share them with you.

Jim

ps. Just checked your website out................amazing work, really looking forward to seeing the Viking SG now!

Edited by Foggy

...........so if you need any reference material or good sources for information on the subject, I'd be more than happy to share them with you.

Jim

YES!!!! I've been looking around for inspiration and I'm coming up with very little. Whatever you got I would love to take a look.

This project started out as just a t-cover I made and that got me thinking. For me thinking is a dangerous thing. :D

viking.jpg

Edited by cSuttle

A name but no plan, OUCH. I expected some big inlay plan you refused to reveal. I never expected this. How about a viking ship on the body left, as that seems to be a standard viking theme like the helmet you show and a viking sword going down the fingerboard, LOL

Like the videos but you could use a new camera (grainy) and some better lighting. Would make it more enjoyable to be able to clearly see what you are doing.

My 2 cents. Worth absolutely nothing.

...........so if you need any reference material or good sources for information on the subject, I'd be more than happy to share them with you.

Jim

YES!!!! I've been looking around for inspiration and I'm coming up with very little. Whatever you got I would love to take a look.

This project started out as just a t-cover I made and that got me thinking. For me thinking is a dangerous thing. :D

viking.jpg

I've PM'd some info to you, hopefully some of it may be useful :D

You could just do inlays of Zakk Wylde's head :D

You know, that could work :D

Just updated the link last night. I decided to retop the headstock and took video of the project.

Also a shout out to Foggy for being so helpful. That's what this forum is about.

Lookin' good. Just so ya know, the pictures of the new headstock aren't working.

Yeah, I caught that problem today and fixed it. Thanks for the heads up.

AND.... What do you guys thing of the body art?

bodyart.jpg

Edited by cSuttle

Lookin' good. Just so ya know, the pictures of the new headstock aren't working.

Yeah, I caught that problem today and fixed it. Thanks for the heads up.

AND.... What do you guys thing of the body art?

bodyart.jpg

Cliff that's looking pretty awesome.

I've been looking through the reference images that I have saved on my computer in relation to what you were specifically looking for, and there wasn't much there that would be much use to you. Most of the images I have on the computer for the project I'm working on I'm using for individual pieces of reference, ie., helmet designs, chain mail detail, weaponry, clothing, etc. I have however, got a few pictures in reference books I looked out yesterday that might be of some use to you, but I'm having a problem with my scanner at the moment :D so I haven't been able scan them. The scanner came very close to being the first flying scanner sighted in Orkney airspace yesterday evening! I'll get 'wifey' to get the relevant piccies scanned at her work tomorrow though and then, (finally) get them emailed to you......................probably too late judging by what you have on show here already, but better late than never.

One thing I would say, is that the Vikings apparently didn't ever actually have the horns on their helmets as portrayed in many of the films and much Viking artwork. They did however sometimes embelish their helmets with birds wings (ala 'Ogri'), but then again, unless you're looking for absolute historical realism I really don't think it's an issue here.

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing this guitar :D and I'll try and email those images through to you tomorrow B)

Jim

Edited by Foggy

Cliff that's looking pretty awesome.

I've been looking through the reference images that I have saved on my computer in relation to what you were specifically looking for, and there wasn't much there that would be much use to you. Most of the images I have on the computer for the project I'm working on I'm using for individual pieces of reference, ie., helmet designs, chain mail detail, weaponry, clothing, etc. I have however, got a few pictures in reference books I looked out yesterday that might be of some use to you, but I'm having a problem with my scanner at the moment :D so I haven't been able scan them. The scanner came very close to being the first flying scanner sighted in Orkney airspace yesterday evening! I'll get 'wifey' to get the relevant piccies scanned at her work tomorrow though and then, (finally) get them emailed to you......................probably too late judging by what you have on show here already, but better late than never.

One thing I would say, is that the Vikings apparently didn't ever actually have the horns on their helmets as portrayed in many of the films and much Viking artwork. They did however sometimes embelish their helmets with birds wings (ala 'Ogri'), but then again, unless you're looking for absolute historical realism I really don't think it's an issue here.

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing this guitar B) and I'll try and email those images through to you tomorrow B)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for all your efforts, but I'm pretty set now. I made a few tweaks to the above drawing and after getting some feedback from a number of people have decided to use this image. It fits the space really well and looks great positioned on the guitar. So don't bother with the scans, although I do appreciate all your efforts on my behave.

To whom it may concern, Foggy (a.k.a. Jim) is a great guy for anyone what hasn't had the fortune to meet him yet. Jim, post picture of your jet ski when it's done. Jim is a great airbursh artist. You guys have got to check out his web-site. Cool guitar eye candy there. Jim, what is the URL again?

I know that this drawing is in no way historically accurate, but that wasn't what I was after. There are a number of problems historically with this photo. The horns on a helmet would be the stupidiest thing to put on a battle helmet probably ever. The idea of a helmet is to deflect the blow from a sword or axe. If a heavy weapon caught one of those horns it would break the neck of the wearer or at least drag him to the ground. And, the metal shin plates are Roman design. But, since the Viking clashed with the Romans and occasion, maybe they were carried away from a battle field :D Then of course the vikings didn't expose their legs like this in battle. Inaccurate, but I was going for cool, and I think I acheived that. Plus, the horns were really important to me since it's going on a SG and that is a "horned" guitar. I have actually seen photos of ceremonial viking helmets with horns (and wings) before, but not battle helmet. All-in-all I'm pretty happy with the way this project is progressing. It's moving a long a little slow for me, but then it's a back burner project being that it's for me.

THANKS AGAIN JIM !

• 2 weeks later...