New Build - Maple Thinline Tele

I reshaped the neck heel. I like the results much better than where I started. I brought it closer to the body heel and matched the contour better.

Once I had the shape drawn, I scored it with a utility knife several passes. Then I used a 1/4" chisel to cut along the grain from my line outward, blending into the neck. Once I had most of the material removed, I sharpened the chisel and very carefully ran along the line, cross-grain to create the ledge of the carve. Then it was just sanding and shaping from there. One of my favorite shaping tools in situations like this, is a dull hacksaw blade with 100 grit stuck to it. It's flexible and can create very fine detail. Plus, it removes material very genlty.

nk32.jpg

Here are before and after shots.

nk28.jpg

nk31.jpg

I also touched up the binding in a few trouble spots. I used a utility knife to scrape some shavings off of a scrap of binding then added a few drops of acetone. The mixture tuned to a heavy paste that I worked into the areas. Even though the acetone melts the binding almost instantly, it can take up to an hour before it evaporates and the patch hardens...depends on the conditions in the shop.

bind13.jpg

bind14.jpg

Peace,

Mark

• 2 months later...