Need Help W/ Fernandes Sustainer Pickup

Paul Marossy

Anyone here ever put a Fernandes Sustainer pickup system in their guitar? Someone at a music store gave me a used one yesterday. I have one of my guitars all ready to install the circuitboard, but I don't know which switch is for on/off and which one is the harmonic switch. I downloaded the installation manual and it doesn't say which one is which. One of the switches is a DPDT toggle switch and the other one is a 3PDT toggle switch.

Can anyone tell me which switch is which?

Anyone here ever put a Fernandes Sustainer pickup system in their guitar? Someone at a music store gave me a used one yesterday. I have one of my guitars all ready to install the circuitboard, but I don't know which switch is for on/off and which one is the harmonic switch. I downloaded the installation manual and it doesn't say which one is which. One of the switches is a DPDT toggle switch and the other one is a 3PDT toggle switch.

Can anyone tell me which switch is which?

This is an educated guess...

I've never fitted one but, it takes more poles on the On/Off switch,

in order to use their driver as a pickup when the sustainer is switched off,

than it does to change hamonic mode.

The low-impedance driver needs to be switched to the step-up transformer

on the back of the PCB.

See if the images at

benfordguitars.com

make things any clearer.

Just letting you know that you were right about which one was the on/off switch.

It's working good except for now all I need to is figure why all the pickups are always on no matter what position the pickup switch is in. I think they might have a mistake on their wiring diagram. :D

I have the FSK-101, installation manual is here: http://www.fernandesguitars.com/support/do...-sustainer.html - I'm using the 5-position switch scheme, with a humbucker on the bridge. I'm using the traditional Fender type pickup switch, but I wired it the same way as they show in their diagram. It seems like they are missing a ground connection somewhere to ground out the unused pickups.

Edited by Paul Marossy

I got it figured out, I had my pickup switch wiring a little confused. I used a traditional Fender 5-way pickup switch with four solder lugs on each side and the Fernandes wiring diagram shows the type where all eight lugs are in a row. Once I figured out that I had the wires in reverse from what they should have been, I was in business.

Good news Paul! May your sustain last longer than the arguments about it on this forum! :D

Yeah, I noticed a while back that the "great sustainer thread" is gone now. That's too bad that those sorts of things have to happen. :D