Sharktooth Inlays Seem To Be Raised.. Help Pics Inside

I'm really amazed at this. Did you buy these guitars as brand new? If so I would send it back. It also looks like the frets have not been crowned very good.

The best way to fix that is rip all the frets out and sand the fingerboard flush using the correct radius sanding block. I know it seems like a lot of work but it's the only way to get 100% finish.

I'm really amazed at this. Did you buy these guitars as brand new? If so I would send it back. It also looks like the frets have not been crowned very good.

The best way to fix that is rip all the frets out and sand the fingerboard flush using the correct radius sanding block. I know it seems like a lot of work but it's the only way to get 100% finish.

Hi no I bought these as old guitars, not new ... they are 1989 ibanez USA Custom guitars.. This is the only neck that has this issue..

I recently purchased tools to teach myself how to refrett a guitar, so this will be my project neck... :D

How do I get a correct sanding block. where to buy one ?

cheers !!

Some of the guys in this forum might be able to tell you what size of a fingerboard radius is on an Ibanez USA Custom, I really wouldn't know myself.

The best way is to measure it yourself using a radius gauge. You can buy them from almost any luthier supplier. It's just a flat piece of steel with the 4 sides cut to different radius so all you have to do is hold each side to the fingerbaord and find the one that fits your neck.

Here's a link to a supplier

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measurin...ius_Gauges.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_suppl...ing_Blocks.html

Good luck

Hutchinson Inlay

Edited by Glenn Hutchinson

A 430mm radius fingerboard means that you will need a 16 inch radius sanding block.

The reason for this is, if you have a look at the shape of the board you will see that it is not flat. It's slightly thicker up the middle making it an arch shape. If you used a flat sanding block you will end up with flat areas along your neck resulting in fret buzz. By using the correct size radius sanding block you will save yourself a lot of work in trying to keep that perfect arch the whole way along the board.

Hutchinson Inlay

i would consider the re-fret and re-radius on this because the fret work isnt great as it is and it would be an improvement

but generally speaking i think its odd to suggest a full refret for a raised inlay.... it can always be scraped and sanded down level between the frets, sometimes its even necessary to install whole new inlays between the frets so just taking this down is minor if you chose to go that way

If it on every fret? If not, you may be able to just file them down. The inlays are acryllic which files down quicker then the wood. Use a fine cut file, go slow, only file on the forward stroke and you should be fine. Unless of course the problem extends into the 15 and lower frets. Then the risk of damaging fret is too great to use this method.