Buzzy Bass And A Stuck Trussrod.

Alright I got another one. I just got my bass back from my friends house. He's used it for 2-3 years now. The whole thing is a buzzy as hell. Thicker strings might help since I'm in d standard but still. I raised the action and still get a lot of buzz. I checked the neck and the truss rod won't budge. What do I do?

Alright I got another one. I just got my bass back from my friends house. He's used it for 2-3 years now. The whole thing is a buzzy as hell. Thicker strings might help since I'm in d standard but still. I raised the action and still get a lot of buzz. I checked the neck and the truss rod won't budge. What do I do?

No one can help you without more information, we are not mind readers and every instrument is different...is it a single action or double action truss rod what brand and model...

No one can help you without more information, we are not mind readers and every instrument is different...is it a single action or double action truss rod what brand and model...

Sorry. It has a single action truss rod and it's an Epi Bass. I've never seen one before. Here's some pictures of it.

Is it just me or is that nut really off center with the slots?

dscf3139.jpg

dscf3141d.jpg

dscf3142k.jpg

dscf3144v.jpg

dscf3145g.jpg

dscf3147o.jpg

I can't tell since I don't have any thing to mwasure on me but my straightedge shows a bow in the neck at the 7th fret. I can fit a credit card through it.

Edited by Ham

You have a few potential issues. It may be the picture but the nut at the G string looks funky. Is it sitting properly? When you say it is buzzing, where? A bit of relief is normal but you may need more or less. What you do neeed is a good setup. There are several online resources for how to do a set up. I like the info at frets.com. If you don't feel up to it, take it to a good tech. As far as the truss rod goes, do not try and force it. Give the nut a good cleaning with natha if it is at all dirty and then put a small amount of penatrating oil on it. Let it sit for at least an hour and gently try to remove the nut. When you get it off clean it and the threads thoughly with naptha; lubercate it with teflon greese and replace the nut. Then follow your sertup instructions.

The first question is the neck straight. There is no reason to adjust the rod if the neck is not back bowed. I would assume if the buzz is low action loosing the rod is in order not tightening the rod. See if you can remove the nut off the rod. It may be maxed out on the rod as these rods only have so much thread to them. Over time the wood gets crushed and the nut creeps closer to the end of the thread. Sometimes you can add a washer but in your case it will not be easy. If its just immovable use the suggestion above to free the nut. But dont distroy the wood by soaking it in oil products