Fancier Scarfs - Adding Laminates

i'm currently in the planning phase for my second build. It's going to be a lot simpler than my first build in a number of ways (no carve, no fancy woods, no bizarro jack, etc)

one thing i'd like to experiment with is the scarf. I have some nice flamy maple left over from build #1 and I'm toying with the idea of throwing a piece in between the mahogany of the neck and headstock pieces.

so if I chop my mahogany as i were doing a normal scarf, can I just throw in a piece of maple so the grain runs parallel with the angle of the scarf (i.e. parallel with the grain of the headstock piece).

is there anything special i need to bear in mind with this?

i think you got it; but i would say one thing i would assume would to be common sense; don't throw a piece of something in there that you wouldnt make a whole neck out of; i.e. dont throw a piece of poplar or swamp ash in there (something veneer or slightly thicker wouldnt matter but..) remember the biggest positive about a scarf joint is the reinforcment on a fragile area of grain 'flow' of the neck; so dont turn it into a negative, and learn from my recent 'mistake' ; a 1/4" insert looks good in glue up, but when you carve into it; it becomes 3x the size at the back of the neck; so carefully plan how big you want it to look in the end

good luck!

grant

...dont throw a piece of poplar or swamp ash in there...

grant

Nothing wrong with using poplar as neck wood. I've made several necks from poplar, and never had one twist, bend, or break. I don't see why a piece of poplar couldn't be used in this situation :D

...dont throw a piece of poplar or swamp ash in there...

grant

Nothing wrong with using poplar as neck wood. I've made several necks from poplar, and never had one twist, bend, or break. I don't see why a piece of poplar couldn't be used in this situation :D

Ditto, I have a poplar-necked-guitar that's been fine so far (a year and 4 months old). Needs a truss-rod tweak with changing seasons, but what guitar doesn't, where I live?