Swirling Another Body... This Time Starting With A Raw Ash Body

That pretty well sums it up! i have a Tele body that i am going to swirl next. the other swirls i have done have all started with a preexisting finish that i have just scuffed down them primed over, which has turned out great!

this is the first time i've started from the bare wood, though. do i need to use a few coats of sanding sealer before i start priming the body white for the swirl? or will it be alright just to sand the body smooth, then prime a few coats on that?

thanks guys!

There is a lot of information on here if you search for grain filling. But the short answer is yes, it's pretty simple. Basically use your filler of choice, wipe on let dry some, wipe off excess, let fully dry and sand off the remainder, repeat as needed until the grain is filled. Just remember wood puty/filler is not grain filler.

It's fairly simple to do, but time consuming to do properly. I find that - regardless of method - you need at least three applications to get a fully grainfilled body, sometimes more. My current filler of choice is Z-poxy finishing resin (an epoxy, search youtube for instructional how-to vids), and I've used oil-based and waterbased products in the past with decent success.

so i just called every hardware place around here and nobody carries grain filler. lame. :D

also, i did a google search on grain filling, and i saw some people on the warmoth boards talking about using super glue as a grain filler on ash. i have never done this before, but it seems to make sense. are we talking the same super glue that you use in the little tubes? or is this something different? and how is it applied? seems too goopy and sticky to brush on.

Do you have a Rockler or Woodcraft store around? ... they carry standard grain fillers.

... My current filler of choice is Z-poxy finishing resin (an epoxy, search youtube for instructional how-to vids) ...

I've used Zpoxy finishing resin on a couple projects now and was very happy with the results. Next time I'm going to try the squeegee application method like this guy is doing.

Part 1,

part 2,

Edit to add, If you are looking for Zpoxy, check out your local hobby stores and craft centers. Zpoxy is a brand name and they market a couple different epoxys, you are looking for the finishing resin.

Edited by Quarter