Yet Another Led/neck Thread :)

kpcrash

After reading this thread again, and getting a basic diagram of how to run the circuit for 10 leds, my thought on this is couldn't I route the ground of the LED to the fretwire (yes I realize I'll have to remove/replace it) so that the circuit is grounded through the bridge when the string contacts the fretwire? Thoughts?

Or you could just go the fiber optic route and only have to replace one led in the control cavity in case something ever goes wrong.

Oh yeah, fiber optics sounds like the way to go to me.

I have no objections to anything at this point, but how then would I activate the fiber at each fret so that it only lights that fret marker?

Think FretLight in reverse, and only using the ten inlay slots existing on a 21 (22) fret neck.

After reading this thread again, and getting a basic diagram of how to run the circuit for 10 leds, my thought on this is couldn't I route the ground of the LED to the fretwire (yes I realize I'll have to remove/replace it) so that the circuit is grounded through the bridge when the string contacts the fretwire? Thoughts?

Thats how I would do it.

Does not mean I am right.

Edited by billm90

Glad to see you're still around Bill :D Depending on how this works, I may try a variant of Ace's Les Paul, but instead of just having it flash as his does, perhaps having an override that changes light intensity based on pickup output. I know, I know... cheesy, but could be cool as hell to have a "mood" sensitive guitar for stage.

• 3 weeks later...
Probably a moronic question, but how would you actually get the fiber optics into the fretboard? A slot on the bottom before you glue it in or something?

Or remove the existing one and channel it accordingly. Which is what I'll be doing for the LEDs in this project.

Probably a moronic question, but how would you actually get the fiber optics into the fretboard? A slot on the bottom before you glue it in or something?

Or remove the existing one and channel it accordingly. Which is what I'll be doing for the LEDs in this project.

So would need to be a reasonably thick fretboard I'm guessing.

Glad to see you're still around Bill :D Depending on how this works, I may try a variant of Ace's Les Paul, but instead of just having it flash as his does, perhaps having an override that changes light intensity based on pickup output. I know, I know... cheesy, but could be cool as hell to have a "mood" sensitive guitar for stage.

You might want to see if you can find one of those "color organ" electronic kits. Remember those things...the different lights and are triggered by harmonic content...so high notes some lights, low another, chords lots of lights...hahahha

I also used to get these cheap pens from the $2 shop here that were mostly a plastic prisim with a tiny circuit that had several modes. I got them because they were cheaper to by than a single blue LED and quite bright. However, if you had fiber optics and bring them all together, you could use such a circuit to mix the colors or sequence through them or flash or the other things this pen would do and run it up the optics. Which reminds me they also sold those fiber optic "hairy lamps" that rotated through the colors...a source of fiber optics perhaps though very thin and the ones my kids bought me a little short!

You know, my sustainer guitar has a blue LED in it when the device is on and I always feel a bit silly with my guitar shining like that...but then I don't have the makeup to hide the blush and acne like Ace, perhaps that's my problem...

Ha! Indeed Pete :D I may just have to play around with that idea a bit. I'm taking my time on this one since it's just for fun. I had actually considered finding/disassembling one of those fibreoptic "trees" that you frequently still see here at flea markets and such.

I think perhaps this will come in handy on those times when I'm playing guitar (vs. bass) for a party-type crowd just to be obnoxious more than anything else. Have fun with the drunks as it were