Wiring/soldering Question

Ron.

Hello to all. I'm in the process of wiring my first electric build and I'm confused about the wiring according to the attached diagram.

Can someone please clarify the If the north start wire and the tone middle lug wire are soldered to the bottom lug right side near the back of the pot, and then continue to the bottom right side lug (shaft side)? Do i have to add wire to join the 2 wires to and connect them to the bottom right shaft side lug?

Sorry If I'm not using the proper terms, this is all new to me. I marked the areas of confusion with red arrows. Thanks for any help you can offer. Ron

1vol1toneUSE.jpg

Yes, they are connected. The heavy dot in the lines indicates where wires are soldered together. In more typical schematics and diagrams, you would see a U shape in the line indicating where a wire "jumps" over the other wires and thus there is no connection, but the heavy dot is a very typical symbol indicating the lines there are connected electrically.

Yes, they are connected. The heavy dot in the lines indicates where wires are soldered together. In more typical schematics and diagrams, you would see a U shape in the line indicating where a wire "jumps" over the other wires and thus there is no connection, but the heavy dot is a very typical symbol indicating the lines there are connected electrically.

Hi Ripthorn,

Thanks for your fast reply. So, I can take a piece of stray wire and connect It to the tone wire lug and then connect that directly to the bottom right (shaft side) lug. I don't have to connect to actual wire but connect to the lug, right?

ron

Edited by Ron.

Hi Ripthorn,

Thanks for your fast reply. So, I can take a piece of stray wire and connect It to the tone wire lug and then connect that directly to the bottom right (shaft side) lug. I don't have to connect to actual wire but connect to the lug, right?

ron

yeah you can just connect it straight to the pot, IMO that diagram is confusing and badly drawn it would be simpler to just draw it directly but this is the problem with using stock images in diagrams they get messy if theres too many connections.

example

http://imgur.com/cCn3d.jpg

Hi Samba Pa Ti,

thanks for your help. I have one more question. The hole inside the push pull lugs are really small. I'm using small wire but after i tin the wire ends it won't fit through the lug hole. Do the wires have to go through the holes, or can I solder the wire outside the lugs? thanks again.

ron

they dont have to go through the holes no, i just put plenty of solder on and tack it on, if its wiring you're never going to change its easier to put the wires through without tinning them and twist it round, then just solder the lugs and make sure it tins the wire in the process.

According to the above diagram for splitting a humbucker, the North Start is soldered to the bottom right lug and is jumped to the tone wire. The pickup that I'm trying to split is a humbucker (Prot-Tube Lipstick Humbucker). According to GFS the North Start is a black ground wire. I starting to think that the diagram that I'm using doesn't apply to this pickup. Can someone shine some light on this, thanks?

gfsdiagram147.jpg

Edited by Ron.