I Got My Guitar Fetish Kit...

A couple of days ago I got my Mockingbird kit from Guitar Fetish. It looks like the headstock was cracked and it didn't happen during shipping. I e-mailed Guitar Fetish and they are sending me a new neck. There are pictures on my blog. At first I was really upset at them but now with their seeming A+ customer service I am becoming a fan.

Has anyone else received blemmed kits? What were your blems?

-- Boris

A couple of days ago I got my Mockingbird kit from Guitar Fetish. It looks like the headstock was cracked and it didn't happen during shipping. I e-mailed Guitar Fetish and they are sending me a new neck. There are pictures on my blog. At first I was really upset at them but now with their seeming A+ customer service I am becoming a fan.

-- Boris

This is good to know because I was considering buying one of their kits. Let me know how it turns out. Are you going to do photos of the build/finish process?

-- Boris

This is good to know because I was considering buying one of their kits. Let me know how it turns out. Are you going to do photos of the build/finish process?

In theory, and according to the USPS delivery confirmation number, the new neck has been delivered to my address. I'm traveling this weekend so I won't see the neck until tomorrow evening when I come back home.

I will definitely be posting more about this kit. In fact, I'm going to depend on this forum to help make this guitar a reality!

-- Boris

looks like a horrible fit to me, if you have to modify the kit that much you get to the point where you might as well build your own neck.

ive only bought pickups off gfs but they were junk, sound like crap and one of them fell apart after a while (bobbin was cracked and pickup wire was not connected right), i didnt wanna spend any time repairing it so i just got something else.

I would measure the neck with calipers from the center to each side (maybe with a line from the middle of the end of the heel to somewhere measurable by the headstock - or the screw holes could be used as a frame of reference if they're drilled already) to see if one side tapers too much than the other. The neck pocked could be measured as well to check to see if it's not squarely cut. If it's the neck, then it's up to you what you want to do. I like reshaping my necks to fit my hand anyway. Usually some 220 grit and tung oil gets the job done for me. I heard someone sanded through to the truss rod cavity one time, but they must have done some pretty serious sanding. If it's the body that's not square, you can shape a piece of wood and glue it into place.

Edited by dalandser