2nd Guitar In Process

jarvey

http://photos.plaxo.com/photos/get/24/42/1...3212449-m-0.jpg

http://photos.plaxo.com/photos/get/24/42/1...3212450-m-0.jpg

http://photos.plaxo.com/photos/get/24/42/1...3212451-m-0.jpg

I am not sure about keeping headstock in Red but waiting for a better solution to come up.

Here is my 1st guitar in cased you missed it.

http://photos.plaxo.com/photos/get/24/42/1...3200243-m-0.jpg

http://photos.plaxo.com/photos/get/24/42/1...3200244-m-0.jpg

I am sorry I haven't figured out how to imbed photo with link or something like that.

I look forward to hearing any commentary.

Thanks.

Edited by jarvey

Hey Jarvey,

I like your style. The second guit is like a cross between an SG, Les Paul and a singlecut PRS. Nice Lacewood BTW. Keep up the good work.

Chad.

Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated. As you call the "second guit" it is actually my 1st completed, not to surprising that it has that hybrid of SG (I own a 1969), Prs (I borrowed one for an example to work off, tech specs). Good eye. It is like building a piece of furniture or creating music, influences creep in without realizing it sometimes.

How is it working with the Lacewood? Is it prone to tear out or any other issues?

I've heard lacewood called "Austrailin Oak" and I would say it is similar to white oak in its working properties. I am doing another lacewood guitar and there were a couple small tearouts but not too bad. I'll sand a little and do some doping in with sealer if I have to. I've worked with a lot of birds-I and birch so some of it has to do with slowing up when jointing and taking less off each pass. I know some people use a thickness sander because of tear out. I am a furniture maker so I've milled up a lot of stock and experience really can't be taught but just being aware that it wants to tear out helps.

How is it working with the Lacewood? Is it prone to tear out or any other issues?

I've heard lacewood called "Austrailin Oak" and I would say it is similar to white oak in its working properties. I am doing another lacewood guitar and there were a couple small tearouts but not too bad. I'll sand a little and do some doping in with sealer if I have to. I've worked with a lot of birds-I and birch so some of it has to do with slowing up when jointing and taking less off each pass. I know some people use a thickness sander because of tear out. I am a furniture maker so I've milled up a lot of stock and experience really can't be taught but just being aware that it wants to tear out helps.

I think you are referring to "Sheoak" which is a timber only native(that im aware of) to where i live in the southwest of Australia. There is also Aussie oak which is very similar to Tasmanian Oak but probably grows on the mainland of Oz. I have used both Oz oak and Sheoak in necks. Oz oak is strong and straight grained and easy to work with and Sheoak has those little eyes like lacewood when flatsawn that can tear out.

Yeah, the SG is an obvious influence and i just know the PRS singlecut cause its like a Les but stretched long, quite an elegant shape i feel. It is hard to make a truly original design. Everything can be related to another design, but to merge a few and make it your own is well done. Its a nice shape!

I think you are referring to "Sheoak" which is a timber only native(that im aware of) to where i live in the southwest of Australia. There is also Aussie oak which is very similar to Tasmanian Oak but probably grows on the mainland of Oz. I have used both Oz oak and Sheoak in necks. Oz oak is strong and straight grained and easy to work with and Sheoak has those little eyes like lacewood when flatsawn that can tear out.

Yeah, the SG is an obvious influence and i just know the PRS singlecut cause its like a Les but stretched long, quite an elegant shape i feel. It is hard to make a truly original design. Everything can be related to another design, but to merge a few and make it your own is well done. Its a nice shape!

Sorry for the misspelling of "Austrailian". Thanks for shedding some light on the types of oak. Thanks for commenting on the shape. I am extemely happy with the way it feels in my hands. It is very well balanced, too. All of the guitars I am building will balance on the leg which I really like. I never liked fighting Les Pauls when sitting down. I can't wait to finish this 1st batch of 4 guitars and design some more. Endless Ideas.