Installing A Killswitch

Helldunkel

I was recently installing one and took pics, maybe this can be useful for some members, cheers

As a reference, I am using some Shielded Guitar Circuit Wire from stewmac, in my case the single conductor wire available here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...ictures#details

1586_1lg.jpg

So you can find a killswitch in any hardware store really, you dont have to ground the switch but its always better, so in this case I am using a simple on/off interruptor which has 2 connections + and - (this thype of switch is not polarised so it does not matter in which hole you place the shield and the hot wire.

photo006o.jpg

Start by stripping the wire this way so that you seperate the shield and the hot copper wire in the center. Then add some solder on both cables and simply connect the shield and the + in the holes. RED = hot Green = ground

photo007c.jpg

Now if your guitar cavity has enough room, try and find a place to drill a hole for the switch which does not interfear with your playing, on this picture you can see the back of the switch with the + and - sticking out from it...

The bad thing to do is to connect the wire to the jack so you want to connect it to the volume pot, in my case I have add the + (red) wire to the extremity of the volume pot in which the main switch connects and the - (green) is the ground which is then soldered on the back of the pot...

photo014ek.jpg

photo011h.jpg

Thats all you have to do, now your guitar is cool!

photo012x.jpg

photo015ea.jpg

I recently changed the switch thype for a different design, having fun experimenting...

96720913.jpg

why is it bad to connect it to the output jack ?

in the long run its wired up the same electrically

nope...

rule #1 about electric guitar wiring: never, ever, disconnect the signal to the amp. If you want to shut the signal up, there are other ways to do it like the one I show in this thread... this way you will never get the "accidentally unplugged guitar buzz problem"...

Er.. who said anything about wiring it differently.... it can be at the jack and perform the electrically identical function, in fact its a much better idea as doing it your way won't function as intended in some circuits..

So you can find a killswitch in any hardware store really, you dont have to ground the switch but its always better

?? You can't ground a plastic switch.

so in this case I am using a simple on/off interruptor which has 2 connections + and - (this thype of switch is not polarised so it does not matter in which hole you place the shield and the hot wire.

Circuits have polarity, switches do not. describing the switch with detail will helps also: A single pole single throw normally open momentary switch =SPST NO momentary (for Tom Morello/Buckethead style switching tremolo ie only off when pressure is applied to switch)

or

A single pole single throw normally open latching switch = SPST NO latching (for extended silence - ie between set. stays on after pressure is released, turns off next time pressure is applied.

why is it bad to connect it to the output jack ?

in the long run its wired up the same electrically

nope...

rule #1 about electric guitar wiring: never, ever, disconnect the signal to the amp. If you want to shut the signal up, there are other ways to do it like the one I show in this thread... this way you will never get the "accidentally unplugged guitar buzz problem"...

the way you show is the same as sending hot to ground at the jack.

whats the deal with disconnecting the signal to amp ? (its not actually disconnected its just shorted) it wont break it, theres no high voltages, its not dangerous.

so why is it bad to connect it to the output jack ?

theres already tutorials on here that show killswitches wired this way, ive got schematics for wiring guitars with killswitches off the manufacturer that show them wired this way, so whats so special....

http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/killswitch.html

that shows the right way and the wrong way to wire at the output jack.