Swirl Finish, Any Tips?

Hey guys,

I often browse 'the machines' section of Steve Vai's website to view the different Guitars that he owns, and their finishes. I want to try to do a swirl design for my new Guitar.

How exactly do you do that? - I've heard mentioned some chemical called 'borox' in the process or something...

I have a new Guitar model coming out called 'Alienfoot' which, by the name implies, has a distinct but weird foot shaped body. I'd like to do a green & blue swirl finish on the first one.

If anyone can direct me, or has any experience with this subject, please help! :D

Check out the stuff on the front page (of the site, not the forum). There's a wealth of info on there. Had you done that, you would have found this little article.

Just a bit further down the page on the forum home you'll see a finishing section under the tutorials sub group. Would you be surprised to hear that this little thread is the very first one and cleverly titled 'swirl, swirl, swirl'?

Also, check out the work by Andy t. His swirls come out really nice.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Buter

ps - where in S. Texas are you? I'm from N. Padre.