• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did a little roundover on the edges today

DSC08814.jpg

did the back with the router

DSC08813.jpg

never tried this before but i took the router bit and put it in the drill press and routed the top

DSC08818.jpg

worked good

DSC08821.jpg

then did some grinding and sanding on the back

DSC08823.jpg

looking better

DSC08824.jpg

then got out the les paul templates and routed for switch and control plate cover

DSC08826.jpg

DSC08827.jpg

DSC08835.jpg

That top looks really good. Are you just going to leave it natural or are you going to do a burst?

probably a burst of some type, if the wood didnt have that dark area on it i might leave it natural, i have vintage amber, red mahogany, tobacco brown, cherry red, yellow and burgandy on hand, all transparent nitro, so i'll have to think hard about just what kind of burst to put on it

Edited by Scatter Lee

probably a burst of some type, if the wood didnt have that dark area on it i might leave it natural, i have vintage amber, red mahogany, tobacco brown, cherry red, yellow and burgandy on hand, all transparent nitro, so i'll have to think hard about just what kind of burst to put on it

I liked the dark area. That's what made ne like it most, it doesn't look like the plastic fake wood on some tables that way. :D

Stunning!

Beautiful work!

Thanks for sharing your passion, and I'm glad you like taking pics.

Doug

This guitar is a tribute to making more with less. As a fellow (and clearly outclassed) woodworker, my hats off to you!

You sir have talent ! :D

thanks for the replys, i'm putting down a tile floor for a few days :D then getting back to this build

B)

• 3 weeks later...

i had a little time to work on this today, thought i'd get the f-holes routed

so i got them drawn on where i want them

DSC08970.jpg

i attach the template with a couple of screws into the body that will later be routed out for the pickups

DSC08972.jpg

took it to the drill press and started drilling holes, i'll drill out as much as i can before i get out the dremel and an 1/8" bit to route it nice

DSC08973.jpg

night came, it got dark on me pretty quick and couldnt see very well so i'll try to finish them tomorrow

at least i got them started

DSC08978.jpg

How do you like that plunge router rig for the Dremel? Thinking about buying one, just looking for some feedback on it.

it works good for some things but is not that great, lot of slop even when everything is tightened up

Oh god. I joined this forum just in time to see this beauty take shape.

You sir, have some serious skill, and nerves to do that bit of freehand routing. Whenever I do any amount of routing, all I can think of after finishing is grabbing a beer. :D

yeah i take blood pressure medicine for that

nice jig - i like that you have done string through with the tailpiece... and done it so neatly.

still not sure about the whole violin guitar thing but i do like the way you aproach it and look forward to seeing a LP style build with these techniques... a 52 LP with through body stringing would be awesome

nice jig - i like that you have done string through with the tailpiece... and done it so neatly.

still not sure about the whole violin guitar thing but i do like the way you aproach it and look forward to seeing a LP style build with these techniques... a 52 LP with through body stringing would be awesome

i'm in the middle of a 59 burst build now and a custom jr. the world is knee deep in les paul copys, i made the violin shape just for something different for myself and have something to sell without any legal trouble, lot of people dig them so i'll keep making them as long as people out there want one

my point is that a lot of what you do can be applied to les paul style builds for something original and still very fun and worthwhile. we know the 52 was a flawed animal, to me that makes it worthy of messing with... imagine if gibson had decided to do it the way you do it with your through body stringing instead of the development of the tom and tailpiece

but yes - i do like a early gibson copy. here is my 55 junior... not exact in any way but incorporates the way i build guitars into a 'replica' i am happy to put my name on

LPJfin.jpg

LPJfin1.jpg

LPJfin2.jpg

LPJfin3.jpg