1St Lap Steel Build

efcb708a3d7446d68549727e1f5004df.Large.jpg?u=b69eec08-e793-477b-b2c3-8cb0ec6825cd

Custom made Bronze Hardware. Inspired by not having quite enough Mahogany for another thru body neck style guitar. Having lots of fun with this one. I plan on using Golden Age P-90. Has anyone used one of these? I know the shape may be a little over the top but it makes me smile when I look at it so...

Edited by jarvey

Looking good, lap steels are a fun build. How did you make your bridge and string plate?

I know the shape may be a little over the top but it makes me smile when I look at it so..

Thats the beauty of a lap steel build, they have such a rich history to draw from and most anything goes.

Thank you, Quarter. I agree with you completely on the rich history and anything does go. I am a furniture maker and made some tables with Bronze bases a while back. These were leftover scraps that were sized perfectly for this. The bronze is 3/16" sheet stock so I simply cut the shape with my 4" angle grinder and drilled and filed. Kind of basic. I am still sanding pieces to 320 grit and will take it to my friends jewelry shop and buff out. I am staining body black but leaving the carved parts natural color for a contrast. I hope it won't look too silly.

I'm actually liking the body shape, particularly with the carves. I think you ought to put in a mild arch in the top as well. It will add to the class.

SR

Hey SR, I actually thank you. I think the carving was needed. They will stay natural (probably amber shellac) and stain body black. Great minds think alike, I am considering a mild arch. This started as a "simple" project. Well, you know how that goes. Check back with my updates as I really appreciate the feedback. This is a great site with so many talented builders but you guys are so supportive and I really thank you for that. I will check out your work for sure. Thanks again.

9bc11c4538c641759f510c402768af57.Large.jpg?u=f1f41bb7-e861-4c61-ad15-2c6ca8512b6a

This is an example of my 1st Electric Guitar build. I guess this is a style I am going be exploring more. Trained as furniture maker but really very little carving experience so I think I will start exploring even more challenging types of carving. I just thought I would relate the 2 styles.