My Wiring Mockup In Photoshop (novice In Wiring)

gazeadgbe

Hi

I am a novice with wiring so if i could ask please for someone who is experienced in wiring guitars to check my mockup wiring is ok (or not) on my drawing plans for 1xVolume 1xTone push pulls for series and parallel. thanks.

I Would appreciate someone having a look and pointing out anything that i may have done wrongly/incorrect as basically its my first wiring attempt into a guitar i am currently building and so i have mocked it up before actually wiring anything, i have made a cardboard base with the cavity area printed onto it, then installed the Pots etc into the cardboard, then took a photo, and added where i think the wires should go using photoshop without wiring anything up physically, so it also gives me a visual reference (being a novice) when i come to wire up the electrics in a few months.

I will wire it all up in that cardboard base then transfer it over to the guitar once its at that build stage.

Cheers for any help with suggestions with the wiring, (hope that pics not too big but hard to see otherwise)

Gaz

mock%20up%20wiring.jpg

I suggest you draw out a SCHEMATIC of your wiring first before attempting the pictorial view.

The pictures are close to impossible to assess without carefully tracing out each wire and drawing a schematic. Without knowing what your intended hookup is it is very difficult to say if it is correct.

Circuit design should always follow from Schematic design followed by physical design (the pictorial view) and then the actual hookup.

Keith

I suggest you draw out a SCHEMATIC of your wiring first before attempting the pictorial view.

The pictures are close to impossible to assess without carefully tracing out each wire and drawing a schematic. Without knowing what your intended hookup is it is very difficult to say if it is correct.

Circuit design should always follow from Schematic design followed by physical design (the pictorial view) and then the actual hookup.

Keith

Hi,

i did indeed do the Schematic first to the best of my ability, but after that i did the above photographic type for my own visual reference of how the wiring would possibly look if i understand the original schematic drawing i did(maybe should have posted that as well first of all), maybe its not even considered a schematic as its not just lines and symbols? but is the best i can do from what i have tried to find out for what i want to achieve and below is the said schematic i drew up first of all, although it is not the more complicated kind of bare drawing type that i have seen and that beginners like myself find hard to do or to understand, ....as i said (novice in wiring) in the post title.

My intended hook up is 1xVolume 1xTone both push pulls for series and parallel, 3way selector, 2x humbuckers,

thanks

Gaz

wiring%20plan%201v1t%20ppulls.jpg

Your wiring will not work.

You have got ground connected to both sides of your volume pot!

If I get a chance I will try sketch a schematic for you.

Keith

Thanks Keith appreciate you looking,

Hope u don't mind me asking but when you say I have ground to both sides of vol pot, do you mean I have grounded the north start black and the 3rd pot tag, 2nd pot tab I have to the tip without touching a ground and the ground I have on the pot top case

Thanks

Gaz

SP1VolTone.jpg

Have a look at the circuit diagram. I leave it up to you as a circuit diagrams 101 task to draw the appropriate wiring diagram.

Post here for marking and grading.

Good luck

Keith

Edited by KeithHowell

Hope u don't mind me asking but when you say I have ground to both sides of vol pot, do you mean I have grounded the north start black and the 3rd pot tag, 2nd pot tab I have to the tip without touching a ground and the ground I have on the pot top case

If you look at your volume potentiometer on pin 1 (left in your drawing) the black wire traces to earth. Then look at pin 3 (right in your drawing) it also traces to earth.

You now have earth across your pot and no way of getting any signal from your pickups to the output jack.

Have a look at the schematic and trace the signal path from the pickup to the volume pot. You will notice the signal is on the top end and the bottom is grounded, the wiper (the arrow) sweeps between ground ie no output and full signal and all points in between.

Hope that helps

Keith

If you look at your volume potentiometer on pin 1 (left in your drawing) the black wire traces to earth. Then look at pin 3 (right in your drawing) it also traces to earth.

You now have earth across your pot and no way of getting any signal from your pickups to the output jack.

Hi Keith, thanks for discussing this with me, and i have been looking at your schematic and doing some research to try to help me understand schematics so below i have posted a pic how i see the line schematic works,

but before that im a little confused though re- the quote that ground is on both sides of my volume pot, as what i see in my drawing above as it is this at the moment,

> my volume pot left pin 1 is going to pin 2 of my Tone pot which goes to the common middle pin of the 3way toggle which when toggled selects either/or both of the other 3way toggle pins to select the red hots of either or both pickups (so surely the red pickup hot wires are traced to pin 1 of volume)

> my volume pot middle pin 2 is going to tip (hot) output jack

> my volume pot right pin 3 is going to the pot case as ground, same as my Tone Pin 3 through capacitor to ground.

so im not sure where i have both sides of my pot to ground

(and below how i understand the schematic you posted)

Thanks

Gaz

schematic%20mock%20copy.jpg

Yes your tracing of the schematic is correct.

I misread your switch wiring: it is correct. I saw all black lines and assumed the switch was switching the ground not signal but further examination of the switch, in your photo shows the earth bit is just the shielding.

It is a general convention to use black for all ground wires and other colours for the hots. When wiring DC power the colours are generally red for positive and black for negative.

As I said previously design your circuit with a schematic, then design your wiring layout and finally do the hook up.

Good luck I hope everything works.

Keith