Easy Broken Neck Question

One more thing... I got in the neck cradle and level. There are two visible anomalies in the neck. Between the break line and the nut platform on low dips about 1/16" - right in front of the nut platform, the truss rod appears to have a slight 'bump' in it. I have loosened the truss rod completely to see if slight pressure would work this bump out to no avail.... hmmmmm.......

One more thing... I got in the neck cradle and level. There are two visible anomalies in the neck. Between the break line and the nut platform on low dips about 1/16" - right in front of the nut platform, the truss rod appears to have a slight 'bump' in it. I have loosened the truss rod completely to see if slight pressure would work this bump out to no avail.... hmmmmm.......

pics?

Two things:

1) Is the neck flat?

2) the fretboard probably isn't flat so you can't use that as a guide.

If the neck is not flat, I would personally glue a maple veneer on the neck face and use that as a base to fill any dip and flatten out humps. Also, if the truss rod isn't straight, you might have to replace that as well.

For the veneer, you could add a 1/16" piece, up to 1/8" and run that over a jointer. That way, you'd have a solid surface to work with. That should bring the whole thing level with the rod.... but really, I wonder if all of this effort is really worth it, but I digress.

Another thing: Does the fretboard have a locking nut shelf?

The fretboard does not have the shelf with it - I would build that up with a piece of veneer no sweat. I hear you on whether or not all of this is worth it to save a 20+ year old neck that has obviously seen better days. Since the fb is already finished on the top, any reductions on that to keep things reasonable would have to be done from the bottom. Which - I have already sanded with a block, just slightly to make sure it was quite flat and ready to glue. PITA :D

Thanks Narc, this has indeed been a challenge.

Quick update - reclamped the FB using some smaller clamps so I could focus on the edges a bit more and the only spot I can still fit a razor blade in is that top/nut area. I suppose I could CA/sawdust it together - with or without a layer of veneer on the face of the neck (only hesitant there because of the prefinished FB - which, since most of what I do is finishes, seems odd to worry about trifling with). I would probably not go through all of this if not for the intimate understanding of where this guy is coming from that owns this guitar - where the guitar has been and what it means to him. To add to temptation, I have a perfectly good RG 570 neck in inventory.

Ok, here's the end result on the neck repair. Already got it fretted and will finish fret job this week.

neckfixed.JPG

Filled gaps with a little CA gel and sawdust from sanding the FB flush to the neck. That one dark spot in the middle of the pic is a burn spot (was there already). Nut shelf added - piece of maple veneer.

Thanks for all the feedback in getting this thing done :D