Binding A Neck

I am binding a neck for the first time (frets over the binding--not Gibson style)and I am set on my fret tang clipper etc, I am more concerned with when to apply the binding and how to get the measurements correct.

This will be a Gibson scale neck that is 1 11/16 nut width. The fretboard has already been radiused to 12" (prepurchased that way). Do I trim the fretboard to sixe first, then bind and then glue to the neck or glue it to the neck and then route the binding channel with a rabetting bit or some combination thereof? I have only made unbound necks thus far, so any help is appreciated.

I use a tapering jig to trim the fretboard first to allow for the thickness of the binding. Then glue the fretboard in place, apply the binding, then profile and carve the neck. It's worked pretty well on the 2 I've done so far.

Peace,

Mark

Mark, Thanks!

A tapering jig on your tablesaw? This fretboard is ebony, so I am afraid of chipping.

I use a tapering jig to trim the fretboard first to allow for the thickness of the binding. Then glue the fretboard in place, apply the binding, then profile and carve the neck. It's worked pretty well on the 2 I've done so far.

Peace,

Mark

Mark, Thanks!

A tapering jig on your tablesaw? This fretboard is ebony, so I am afraid of chipping.

I made one for my band saw...it's a kinder, gentler cut at low rpm. It rides along the edge of the table. Just take a piece of MDF, add a doubler to the edge and don't worry about how wide the main part is, you can run it thru and make a perfect cut to the blade. The off cut is waste. I used a few clamps that came with a tool that I saved a few years back but they can be as simple as a drilled block of wood with bolts threaded into recessed T-nuts on bottom.

It doesn't use a T-slot but because it rides the edge of the table, it's impossible for it to over cut...if it were to back away from the blade, worst case you make another pass to trim it up.

taper%20jig.jpg

nk04.jpg

nk05.jpg

nk06.jpg