First Build Finished (pics)

I decided to start building last year in December because I had a product development class, so I decided to try my hand at luthiery. Five months later, after stumbling my way through the build, I eventually ended up with this.

Angle Shot

Side Shot

Mom Holding guitar for back shot

Body: Pine

Neck: Maple

Fretboard: Fretless red Oak

Hardware: Scrapped from some generic asian strat with a curvise "B" as the logo.

Had to paint the Neck and Headstock due to router tear out and putty filling. Twas a shame, as it was really nice looking before that. :D

Problems include over routing, dings and scratches while still in progress, the strings lean toward the low E, Lack of frets, and overall crappy tone.

But, I am now much more educated in the way that guitars functions and are constructed, and am currently working on much more serious projects, such as a 7 string with Maple body, Mahogony Neck,and Walnut Fretboard, and a PRS with Maple top, Mahogany body and neck, with Walnut fretboard and veneers.

This was a learning build for me, and it helped me immensely. Also, I probably couldn't of done it without help from this site. Thank you Project Guitar! :D

Edited by Mors Phagist

The first build is always an intimidating one. I remember mine as I'm sure we all do but it's just like everything else where you have to learn it to get better at it and judging by the pictures of the 7 string you showed me you have learned a lot. I'm glad that fretboard worked out, let me know if you need anymore I would have to know before August though since I will be out a shop then for the next 9 months.

The first build is always an intimidating one. I remember mine as I'm sure we all do but it's just like everything else where you have to learn it to get better at it and judging by the pictures of the 7 string you showed me you have learned a lot. I'm glad that fretboard worked out, let me know if you need anymore I would have to know before August though since I will be out a shop then for the next 9 months.

Oh crap, I forgot that. I will also be out of shop at that time at the U of M. :D