From Rich Harris at NAMM...

Correction - ProEdge-I on Japanese models, ProEdge-II on non-Japanese models (replaces TRS)

http://www.jemsite.com/news/edge2003/

Ibanez.com NAMM 2003 Preview

http://www.ibanez.com/namm/03wnamm.asp

Ibanezrules NAMM sneak peak

http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2003/index.htm

From Rich Harris at NAMM...

First, the best news -

The TRS is DEAD!!!

In no form does it survive, even Korean RG's down the the RG350 have the Pro Edge-II on it now!!

The Korean models [among others, notably the RGT42] now sports the Pro Edge-II. Yes, even the Gilbert!!!

All Jem/UV/JS are now sporting the Pro Edge-I.

The quality 7 string returns with the RG1527 [basically a 7620], yes, with the Pro Edge 7

The Mushok at first glance is the only barritone scale offered. 28", solid mahogony, mahogony/bubinga through neck. SC in looks but as thick as an RG. [made in Korea]

Every S including the S1620 [replacing the 1520] is now equiped with the Zero Rocker. A unique design that incorporates parts of the Backstop system, a Zero Stop, etc. into the design. Break a string and it will remain in tune! More on that when I do the trems section.

The only drawback I could see is the new Pro Edge system does not have the locking studs. The first thing I'll do when I get one inhand is to pull the trem and see how good the tollerances are between the stud and the anchor, as now they cannot be locked together ;/

Lots of new models, lots of new finishes, all that to come just as soon as I can get everything done and published. Some things I'm forgetting I'm sure, just hold on and the pictures will tell the story

Thoughts on Ibanez's NAMM lineup.

1. As always, the best looking guitars are at the high end and low end (RG320FMAM yummmmmmmmmmm) of the spectrum with the middle being "blah"

2. "Prestiege" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. They look the same, they cost the same, they're equipped pretty much the same. Do yourself a favor and buy one of the discontinued "no-prestiege" guitars while the usual first model year production kinks are worked out of the new line.

3. Anyone else notice the RG4xx series got dropped? My guess it was leaching too much in sales from the RG5xx series. Damn shame, those were my favorites. (wow, unintentional irony)

4. "Prestiege" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

5. Those sure are some ugly looking bridges. They might work better, I dunno, but aesthetically speaking, p-u

6. General NAMM note - This might be the lamest winter NAMM in a LONG time. From an electric guitar p layer point of view it was pretty slim pickin's

I just think it's silly.

In the car world they call it "badge engineering" Take a car, put a different badge on it, call it a "luxury car" when all it is is the same non-luxury car with all the options.

The price is the same.

The specs are the same.

How the heck are they now "Prestige."

On the one hand labeling them as such could make them seem more desirable and well built (See how US Honda rebadges foreign models as Acuras and people pay more for them even though they're not built any better).

On the other hand it could make the whole line seem like a joke that isn't funny (See how Nissan USA rebadged models as "Infiniti" and people stayed away in droves because, really, who wants to pay a couple of thousand dollar premium on their Maxima?).

Hello Brian and all,

Just got back from the Namm show last Wed. (Had to take a few more days of that weather) :D Coming back to Michigan was hard!

I have to say that I did not have a clue of how much gear there is available for us musicians! (Talk about a kid in a candy store) B)

Being my first time at a show of that size i was in awe!

I got to meet and talk to a lot of good people about our product. Also secured a big deal in Japan.

I have to say, after seeing all the new products guitars,amps, new recording software and recording units,that the music merchandise market is alive and well. :D

cheers,

Brent

Big Bends LLC

Big Bends Nut Sauce