Complete Newb Natural Strat Finish?

OK,so im just learning how to "modify" guitars. i am rather clueless but i spend alot of time online and aspire to become skilled. anyway, my dilema is this. i have a fender stratocaster squier original series. i have he guitar completely dissasembled and i want to get a durable, brand new looking, natural wood finish on my body. i have sanded down the front and back to the clear layer above the bare wood. however, in the process, i left a few minor marks from using an electric sander at 60 grit. i have been using a 100 grit sanding sponge but i se little to no progress. i also am reluctant to reach the bare wood because im not sure if its possible to simply smooth the clear finish-like material?

if not:

1. what is the best process to get to the bare wood CORRECTLY,SMOOTH&EVENLY

2. what products and methods do i use afterwards to get my end result? (I only have acess to my local Lowes)

thank you so much!

i am going to take a guess as i dont know what you are using, and advise you invest in better/the correct sandpaper.

it can seem expensive, but good quality sandpaper clogs less and stays sharp for longer. i have had some cheapo stuff before where the grit literally fell away on anything more than the softest of woods. you wont get anywhere like this

also, the correct type helps. you are still sanding finish rather than wood so use the appropriate type

i am currently favouring emery cloth intended for polishing metals. It can clog on some woods, but eats through most hard finishes in no time. it looks like its clogging, but a little brush/vacuum off and its fresh as a daisy. i never have to go coarser than 100 grit with it, and that is a nice place to be when you hit wood