Les Paul Wiring

Eddiecurbside

Hi I'm Eddie and I'm new to this forum as well as building guitars I'm trying to finish building my second guitar which is a standard LP. I have it all wired up and it sounds great at low volume but when I turn up the gain(without any pedals) to about 6 or 7 I get an unbearable feedback that only lets up when you put your hand on the hardware. I've tried this through 4 different amps and 3 different outlets and I used the duncan diagram for the wiring. All of these thing give the same unbearable feedback. If I run it through a pedal then its not as bad but still bad. All of the amps I've been using to test this out have been verified that they work with other guitars. Has anyone had this issue? or any ideas for a solution?

thanx Eddie

can you show us the duncan diagram you utilized? also are you using stock style gibson humbuckers? some people have reversed the shield in the past also double check your output jack its rare but even the best of us have flipped the hot and ground wire by mistake which will do that quite a bit at higher levels. other than that i am not sure

ok i wrote a reply at work and it didnt' post so i will try to be brief but informative. there is a tele mod where you reverse the ground on the pickup cover kind of turning it into an antenna. don't ask me why i don't fully understand it myself but i stumbled across the same diagram for lespauls in a nutshell multimeter on continuity and test all the points that are grounded. they should all be connected together to the sleeve of the jack. if yes then i am unsure your problem if no then you have your answer sir. btw sometimes the wiring run to a lespaul switch people have been known to switch the hot leads around