Something Different #1

I am going to be a 1%’er and post something other than a guitar build here. I needed a multi-stand that would hold 5 guitars but I didn’t like the ones that any of the retailers had. I also just bought a house and the previous owner left one of those old console stereos. I didn’t want the stereo to go to the dump so I posted an add on Craigslist – free if you pick it up – but no one wanted it. That got me thinking… the pecan wood was in good shape and I needed a stand…

Here is the before pic… it was just too large to do anything with. Also, before any of you tube enthusiast asks it was all solid state. If it had a tube amp needless to say I would have had another project on my hands!

Before.jpg

This demo took longer than I thought. When I was done I filled a small bucket with all of the wood screws. Also, a lot of it was glued together and that presented a lot of other challenges.

AfterDemo.jpg

After 4 months I finally finished. Since I shortened the length I had to re-cut the majority of the wood. I also removed the old fabric covered sides with some pieces of interior wood paneling that I stained black. I had to get the pipe and some hardware… but all of the other pieces either came from the original stereo or wood I bought at the local Re-Use store.

This was a great project and I even have enough pieces left over to get a good start on a matching pedal board. Also if you can see in the before picture the two top panels… those are solid pecan. I may use one of them for a top on a guitar body. I never built a drop-top… and this may give me a good excuse to do so!

Front.jpg

Side.jpg