B-Band At3 Combined With Passive Hb P/up Advice Needed

Truth_David

http://www.thetonego...a_overview.html Here is a pick from their webpage:

apa_hum_1_tn.jpg

Due to the highly innovative offering from the Tone God for the Acoustic Pickup Adapter I imagine I will not be the only one tempted to try out a passive p/up on an electro-acoustic instrument - even at the risk of rampant feedback, which I imagine is unavoidable :(. My guitar is an Emerald X-5 carbon fiber model, and comes pre-fitted with a B-Band AT3 system.

If it were possible to mix the signal from the passive mag p/up with that of the AT3 via its on-board preamp, this would provide the advantage of volume and tone controls, but then the question would arise as to how to go about mixing the output from the two p/ups, and I imagine that would involve a blend pot and a considerable amount of adaptation to the existing system.

However the Tone God website is not very clear on the subject of wiring and routing of the cables from whichever p/up is going to be installed. If I were to be able to find a way of sending a passive output from the same jack to my signal chain, then the fact that I have no on-board volume or tone control for the passive mag p/up would not pose so much of a problem, as I could control the volume at least with a volume pedal. What I am not about to do is add another output jack to the guitar, so what are my options?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

David

So the "Acoustic Pickup Adapter" is the plastic thing that holds the humbucker in place? I don't think your preamp is really designed to blend in a magnetic pickup. If you want to add in a magnetic pickup without making any permanent changes to your guitar, the only thing I can think of is to replace your jack with a stereo jack. Then you run the existing line from your preamp into one channel of the stereo jack, and run the magnetic pickup into the other channel. You will then use a stereo cable instead of a normal guitar cable. At the other end of the stereo cable, you split the signal again. One channel is as it was before. The other is your magnetic pickup, which you'll run into...whatever.

I really can't think of anything else that doesn't involve drilling holes.

An electric passive pickup will probably scream like a banshee. The b-band doesn't have an aditional pickup input on board. The jack is already a TRS since the battery and and ground leads cannot be common when unplugged. Any blending would have to be done with a blend pot taking the output from the board and passive pup to the tip terminal of the jack. Then of course you have to deal with the impedance mis-match. If you can find a switching acoustic jack you may be able to pull it off without the extra pot and just use a Y cable to diffent amps but I'm not aware of any supplier making switching acoustic jacks (with the strap button and all that).

Edited by NoSaintNick

Thanks to both of you for your helpful comments......I think I will have to stick to separate processing for either signal. I am also trying processing the signal via a GK-3 hex pickup into a VG-99 - with surprisingly good results for the time being. I still want to hear the passive mag p/up though...

• 4 weeks later...

simple fet buffer trim pot blen mounted on piece of plastic by the pickup itself.